Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A new high (low?) in buttery

This past weekend, I went to visit my very best friend in Peoria, Illinois.

I'd like to say that I was perfect with my food...but I wasn't. I ate sensibly sometimes, but in the end, I drank too much.

One thing I am not willing to give up is the annual trip to Steak N' Shake. Steak N' Shakes are only found in the midwest so I don't feel bad that I go there and have what is that I want - a steakburger with fries and a junior chocolate malt. It is so very fantastic. Everything in moderation, right?

But on my placemat, I noticed this advertisement for their new "Wisconsin Buttery Steakburger N' Fries."


Now, I'm not from Wisconsin, but when I read this, I thought that the buttery part was that the bun was buttered. Turns out, I was wrong.

The text next to the picture says, "This is a classic Wisconsin-style burger - real Wisconsin butter melted, or should we say layered and slathered, on top of our savory Double Steakburger (TM) covered with cheese and grilled onions. A Burger & Butter Lover's Dream!"

Two questions:
1) First...I think my arteries just hardened at the READING of that description...is that possible?
2) Really? Is this really a Wisconsin thing? I thought cheese was Wisconsin's thing...but it's SLATHERING a burger that's already fried on the grill with butter?
Ewww...just ewww...

2 Comments:

Mark and Joella said...

wow...that's just sounds gross, and really greasy. We have a Steak 'n Shake in Lee's Summit too, just in case you ever want to come visit :)

Amy P said...

Culver's is (I believe) from Wisconsin. They serve "butter burgers." I am assuming same idea. but not "standard" with onions and such. May I just say, that there was a period in my life (not too long ago) that I would get the little burger, little fries, small root beer AND a damn concrete (like a blizzard) from there at LEAST once a week. I have not had one in over a month. And I am really not missing it!!

Good job on being aware by the way. I am always happiest when I am aware of what I am doing and why. I said, peanut butter and jelly sandwich all the way home from work because I was hungry and was trying to keep from driving through some where in my rush. takes less time to make a PB&J than it does to sit in the drive through.