Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Guidelines

I'm sorry I was absent yesterday. I totally have a note from my mom excusing me though.

Yesterday was week 2's weigh in for the VBL (Virtual Biggest Loser Competition) that I'm "competing" in.

I'm proud to report that even after eating a delightful gnocchi dinner (complete with a very salty garlic bread and cream sauce) on Monday night, I was still down 1.2 pounds yesterday morning from the week before. Obviously, when you eat a sodium packed meal such as I did, you're likely to retain water...so if I were a betting person, I'd say that I'm probably down a bit more than the 1.2 that the scale showed.

Whatever, I'm totally taking it.

I wrote about it this weekend (because I kind of broke my own guideline of letting go of the scale), but I feel great that I'm down weight while still enjoying the foods that I love. Amanda mentioned this in her comment, but I think that my wanting to check my weight is because I'm still checking to make sure that my eating plan "works."

So what is this plan? Well, I've talked about it before in some general terms, but here we go - here are the guidelines that I follow as much as I can (taken from Geneen Roth, author of "Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating" and "Women, Food, and God"):

  • Eat when you are hungry.
  • Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
  • Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations or music.
  • Eat what your body wants.
  • Eat until you are satisfied.
  • Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
  • Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.
The one I struggle with the most is eating without distractions...it still feels so unnatural. But I'm working on it.

Anyway, the 1.2 pound loss is really just some great feedback that what I'm doing not only feels good to me emotionally, but that I'm also getting the benefits of my body being at a healthier weight.

Sure, I've had stuff like ice cream, chocolate, M&Ms, full fat cheeses, potatoes, and chips. But I've also had a lot of veggies, whole grains, fruits, and lean proteins.

It's (GASP!) a balanced eating plan.

It's also helping me realize that the emotions that I have (those that I would usually turn to food to comfort) still need to be dealt with. I'm working on that too.

I'm happy. I feel healthy. I feel in tune with my body. And I'm finding that I don't hate my body any more.

Life, right now, is pretty frickin' great. I'm just saying.

6 Comments:

Lily Fluffbottom said...

Yay! I'm glad you keep losing weight! Eating without distractions is so difficult, isn't it? My kitchen is basically in my living room, so when I sit at the bar counter, I right in front of the television, and we're always right in the middle of watching something. I try to not watch it at all, or only watch it when I don't have food in my mouth, but its hard! The better idea of course would be to just turn off the tv, but you know. That'll never happen.

Fat Girl vs. World said...

I love how Thich Nhat Hanh says drinking a cup of tea takes an hour -- the preparation of the tea, the sharing of the tea with friends...

People used to build whole celebrations around food and friends and family.

For me it took buying a table that was (1) fancy (2) pretty (3) an electronics-free zone. I'm still not quite un-distracted, but I'm better than I was. Muuuuch better than eating over the kitchen sink off a paper towel.

Katy said...

Have you read the book Savor? If you don't refer to the Roth books on a regular basis, would you mind letting me borrow one? You've peaked my interest and I want to see what I can get from them. Great job on the 1.2!

Amanda said...

It's probably a little sad but I got a little thrill out of a blog post mention. I can't help it that I'm a dork. lol

I bought the "Women, Food, and God" book a few weeks ago. It hit close enough to the mark for me that I ended up closing it about a third of the way through and putting it on the shelf. I need to dig it back out because I know (just from my level of discomfort) that there is something there for me.

Congrats on the 1.2 lbs! That is awesome. Good luck on week 3. :)

KyokoCake said...

YAY for life being great!!

spice2116 said...

sweet we had the same weightloss!!! that is awesome