Thursday, August 8, 2013

Steps

I mentioned last week that I've been tracking my calories on myfitnesspal and my steps on my fitbit.

I've put the last 30 days of my steps activity below...and you can see (even if you can't read the axis labels) that I've really "stepped it up" in my activity levels over the last week and a half.  The little one on the right side is today - and since it's not even 10 AM yet, I'm not down on myself for having it only be at 1500 steps so far.


I haven't gone way over my calorie limits according to myfitness pal in the past week, but I haven't been way under either.  Typically, I'm right around the limit.  Well, other than this past Saturday and Sunday...I didn't track anything so I have no real clue where I was.

My point is (and I promise, there is one), is that each step counts.  Literally.  Each time I choose the stairs or to walk around the building, it counts - everything adds up.  Somehow that makes me more motivated to execute on the healthy plans I have for myself.

Each time I choose to eat a Skinny Cow candy pack instead of a Snickers bar, I'm saving 200 calories - and that adds up.  Each time I choose to honor my body by not eating more (because I'm already satisfied, because I'm not really hungry, etc.), it adds up.

I believe that each step creates momentum.

In fact, I went to the GYN yesterday and was weighed.  I'm down a bit over 15 pounds since January and down 5 pounds since the beginning of July (per their scale and medical records).  I may not be making leaps and bounds, but these small steps are getting me to where I want to be.

In other (semi-related) news, Zach's son is staying with us for a little over two weeks.  He flies into Denver tomorrow night and flies home to New York on the 25th.  He's 13 and from what I remember the few times I met him years ago, he's a pretty calm, respectful kid.  Zach says he's awesome but a) most parents say that about their kids and b) he's not exactly around his kid a ton to know if the moodiness has taken place.  They talk regularly, but they're not exactly long conversations.  I'm pretty sure it involves a lot of grunting and ball scratching.  :)  So while I'm not exactly sure of how the next two weeks are going to go, I feel confident that it will all work out - one way or another.

Because he and I look to further our relationship, this is a necessary next step.  We need to see how we will all function as a family unit.  We need to figure out if there are any glaring issues facing us or if we have similar parenting instincts.

But just like losing weight is the next physical step in my journey to get healthier (and there are lots of little physical and theoretical steps that make up that big one), there are lots of little steps in the next two weeks.

The first step is picking him up from the airport tomorrow...and I'm excited to report back how all the other little steps progress.

Wish us luck!

7 Comments:

Wynn said...

I've been reading your blog for a couple years (and have never commented, so I guess that makes me a lurker, but I'm not creepy, promise!) and I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're back.
And, I'm so happy you're happy and I think you are going to do great spending time with Zach's son!

Samantha said...

Love your analogy of steps. I completely agree, I think that each step in the right direction does count. Each choice counts too, so if we choose to take the elevator when we can walk then that's a choice that won't necessarily take us to our goals.

Congrats on the weight, your definitely taking steps in the right direction :)

Andi said...

Great post. Remember, little steps by themselves don't look like much. If you combine them all together though you are taking huge steps so you should be proud of that :)

Gracie Fixtor said...

It looks like you are doing really well,, making the right decisions and taking little small steps towards your goal. Keep it up hun.

Mandy said...

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step :)

Max Fowler said...

Great advice/article. Stay happy and do not let anybody ruin your happiness.

Rhianna said...

Great way of thinking and dealing with each step.