Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I pretty much hate today...

One year ago today, I had to put my dog, Chassis down.

This morning I just found out that Joe’s closest friend, Pat, has a brain tumor. He is probably the nicest person in the whole world. Of course, you never *really* know what kind of marriage two people have, but from the outside looking in, he and his wife of decades have an excellent marriage. Their kids are the two best behaved (and still very real and vivacious) kids I’ve ever been around.

He and his family come up to visit in Denver a few times a year and they’re four of my favorite people in the world. They’re so welcoming – they make me feel comfortable being me. They respect and understand my relationship with Joe. They’re thoughtful, considerate, and funny. The parents and the teenagers all hang out. How they interact gives me hope that some people actually *do* have healthy families, boundaries, and love.

Joe’s parents and step-dad died before I met him. He has no siblings. His grandparents have been in the ER, hospital, and rehab facility in the last few weeks (for completely separate issues). And honestly? His grandma isn’t exactly the most welcoming, considerate, or thankful person. No matter how available I’ve made myself to help her and her husband, she makes it clear that she’d rather only interact with Joe.

I may not get to pick the family that Joe has left…but our friend? He’s Joe’s family; they grew up together. The kids called him Uncle Joe from when they were babies. They’re all so close. And wonderfully, he has made me feel like I’m a part of Joe’s family. I actually love this guy.

And he has a freaking brain tumor.

I know it’s not a death sentence (or anything close to it). But it’s major surgery. ON HIS HEAD. WHICH INCLUDES HIS BRAIN. WHICH IS SERIOUS. WHICH SCARES ME.

They’re operating on Friday. It’s two inches in diameter and is located on the right side of his brain underneath his skull. That’s about all I know.

Well, that and they’re so far away that I feel helpless.

I have more news about my life and my health, but for now, will you just say a quick prayer for my friend, Pat?

5 Comments:

Jams said...

Prayers said. Take care of yourself.

Lily Fluffbottom said...

Life just keeps on comin', doesn't it? I will definitely be sending good vibes his way, and yours. Take care.

Sidenote: One of my coworkers made a comment about smelling something burning. Of course, no one else could smell it so I suggested that perhaps he had a brain tumor.

Turns out he was actually a survivor of a brain tumor. That put me in my place!

MizFit said...

prayers said.

keeping them coming, too.

xo

Carla

Anonymous said...

Sending best wishes and positive energy your way.

Kim said...

Obviously a bit behind in reading some blogs...I am so sorry about Pat...and can totally relate to how sucky this news is...coupled with what the day signified already...

Sending warm thoughts and prayers your way (and to Pat and Joe!).