Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Slow and Steady Slims My Face

Yikes!  What is this - three posts in a week?  It's like I'm back! :)  I hope that's the case - I sure have missed you.

So, last night was my Weight Watchers meeting; I'm down another 0.6 pounds. 

Hmmmm...

Since joining Weight Watchers in May, I've lost 8 pounds.  8 pounds in three months.

Oy.

When you average that out, it's like I've lost 0.6 pounds per week.  That's a far cry from what I did last time.  Last time I was on the WW plan, I lost an average of 1.5 pounds a week.  I rocked the hell out of that plan.  Every month, I got a new 5 pound star.

Until I didn't.


This time, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm no longer hungry.

Take today - I still have 12 points that I'm supposed to eat today.  But I wasn't hungry enough to eat them all.  I had salmon sashimi, a salad, a few servings of fruit, a cheeseburger (kid's size from McDonalds), cheese, crackers, yogurt, and my breakfast mug sandwich.  I only used 29 points today - which is below what someone who is at their goal weight (for my height) should be eating.

Yesterday I went over points because I was especially hungry last night.

Oh hello, law of averages.  How I've missed you.

Truthfully, I don't track often.  I am trying to listen to my body more; trying to trust myself more when it comes to food.  Sometimes that means I eat more; sometimes I eat less.  It usually depends on the quality of food (nutrition) that I eat.

Go figure.

So basically, I'm okay with taking this slowly.   I'm enjoying the process of trying new foods, new recipes, new cooking, and new snacks.  I'm enjoying the inquiry into how my body feels when I fuel it with different items.

Last Monday I had a big meal (still within plan) at PF Changs but it was SO tasty!  And I was really craving it.

I love that I don't have to deprive myself to lose weight.  I love that I can still enjoy things that are decadent.  I'm talking to you, Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt (currently available at Pinkberry).

Mostly, I'm constantly surprised at me being constantly surprised at how much I really like veggies.


Every time I even start to think that I *should* be losing weight faster, I remember all the diets I've been on - crash or otherwise.  I remember all the sizes I've been in my adult life.  And I try to remember that I am learning things about myself, each week, such that I can be the healthiest me possible.

That endeavor will undoubtedly lead to smaller fun pants.  But in the meantime, I sure am going to enjoy the ride. 

If that means it takes longer, so be it.  I'm in this for the long haul, baby.


10 Comments:

Jams said...

This post makes me smile! Remember - healthy weight loss happens 0.5 to 2 pounds per week... you are within that average. So what if it's slower... chances are, it means you're more satisfied, you're learning to listen to your body, and you're going to be better able to handle maintaining once you make it to your goal.

Keep rocking it! :)

Amy said...

Slow and steady wins the race. And as far as I'm concerned, a loss is a loss! Keep it up!

Karen@WaistingTime said...

The "experts" tell us that slow loss is more likely to be permanent loss:)

Miz said...

three cheers for the freakin LONG HAUL!!

Anonymous said...

This quote helps me when I get frustrated with the long-haul nature of losing weight: http://littleremindersoflove.blogspot.com/2011/05/quote-of-week_16.html (This isn't spam, I promise!!) :)

Lily Fluffbottom said...

A loss is a loss! It totes counts! And you're absoulutely right; its easy to get caught up in the numbers game, but long term results come from consistency. Every day you're getting a little bit closer!

Flabby McGee said...

Love, love, LOVE the title of this post. Couldn't stop laughing!!!!

Kate said...

So what if it's slow! You're clearly losing a ton of emotional baggage at the same time (weight that is WAY harder to lose than mere pounds) and you're inspiring everyone who reads your blog. Seems a little like Super Woman to me (might wanna start rocking the cape now)!

Charlie Hills said...

Slow and steady? I've been at this for twenty-one years now. That finish line has to be somewhere up ahead, right?

:)

Miz said...

checking on you...