Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Making time...

Yesterday I went to my Weight Watchers meeting...and I'm happy to say that I'm down 0.2 pounds.  It might not sound like a lot (and let's be honest, it's not), but to me it shows and proves that I'm done with eating to fill an emptiness inside me.  There have been a lot of feelings the last few weeks as I prepare for a separation with Joe and the buying of a new house. 

But I haven't eaten them.  And THAT is the best.

Anyway, at the WW meeting, my leader talked about making time for things that matter.  She asked us to think of any goal that we had in our lives - and then asked us what it took to attain that goal.

For instance, when I wanted to graduate from college, my investment wasn't just in the time spent at classes or the money spent for the classes.  My investment in a great degree came with lots of hours at labs, in meetings with classmates, and at tutoring sessions if I needed more help.

Likewise, I can't look at the only time I'm willing to take for me to lose weight as the time spent in the meetings.

I need to invest the time into making healthy lunches, not just grabbing something on the go.  It means taking the time to get up early to go for a run.  It means understanding that there is time spent to drive to the gym.

To expect that this would just happen miraculously without any other time investment is silly.

And yet, how many of us have thought that if we just fix this "eating thing" we'd be fine?  Nope.  There's way more things going on that have contributed to my weight gain than just fixing my eating. It's by choosing to take the time to make the change a part of my identity that is going to get it done.

As I sat in the meeting, I thought of all the other things that I do with my time.  Some of it is productive, some of it is non-productive but totally awesome, and some of it is wasteful.  I want to be more mindful of scheduling or making time for the goals I really have.

After all, aren't we all worth spending some time on us, on our hopes and dreams?


P.S.  YAY!  The house was inspected last week and it passed with flying colors!  There are a few things to be fixed (aren't there always?) but nothing so big that it was a deal breaker.  The seller has come to the table with his offerings - not as much as I had hoped, but it's doable - and this whole process has gotten me even MORE excited about moving in the house.

I can't believe it's going to be mine in 9 days. 

The seller has had some heartbreak, some good times, and a new beginning with love while in this house. 

I can only hope that the same holds true while it's mine.

(le sigh)

7 Comments:

Missy said...

What a pretty house!

Very glad to hear you're making great decisions and having good insight during what must be a stressful time. Good job!

Jams said...

That house is gorgeous! I have no doubt that you will make beautiful memories there.

Yay for conquering the feeling eating... it's hard... REALLY HARD.

And you're so right... how many of us think - I don't have time, when in all honesty, we really do?

I can't wait to hear more about the house!

Karen@WaistingTime said...

That house is so cute!

Levi said...

That house is so cutsie!

Miz said...

I wanna move in.

for some reason I look at the pic and think: YES. THERE ID BE A PROLIFIC FICTION WRITER!!

(apparently I shout when I think)

Lily Fluffbottom said...

Oh your house is beautiful! It looks amazing! You're going to create such a beautiful life there!

I also really like what you had to say about the meeting, and the things learned.

I definitely have taken a break from focusing on the "eating thing" in lieu of other life events, traveling, cleaning, avoiding my roommate, etc. But its not really something you can just turn on or off- it really needs to become a part of your identity because otherwise the issues and the weight... they linger. Far longer than they should. These habits weren't learned overnight, and they won't be gone overnight either, but we can replace them with the better habits over time.

Consistency. I hate it.

Bring Pretty Back said...

I just discoverd your wonderful blog! I can't wait to read more!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin