Thursday, October 20, 2011

Accidentally finishing a 5K

Folks, the last time I ran was in June.

As in four months ago.

As in I’ve been dreading the first run back because I knew I would feel sluggish and my pace would be a far cry from where it used to be.

But one of the things I LOVE about my new place is how close it is to a lake and a few parks.

The lake I’m closest to is called Sloan Lake and it’s about three miles around. Sunday morning I decided that I would walk and run the circumference of the lake – you know, to get back in my groove.

Less than three miles? I can do that. No problem. Only I didn’t factor in the distance to and from the lake. Nor the heavy construction that left the paved path detouring through neighborhoods.

And I didn’t know that there was a race that morning; one that I apparently joined halfway through. I got to cross a finish line with lots of applause and then looks of confusion as I kept running past the volunteers.

At the end of the day, I ran a bit over 4 miles and I’m happy to say that I ran more than I walked.

My next 5K will be the Turkey Trot in El Paso on Thanksgiving morning. I ran it 2 years ago and my goal is to just run the whole thing and to try to forget about the time, pace, and where I used to be.

It’s where I am now that matters, right?

4 Comments:

Jams said...

Exactly! Where you are now and where you're going. Although, I like to focus on the where I am now. I read a quote the other day:

"You can't change yesterday, but you can ruin today by worrying about tomorrow."

Great job on the first run back.. keep it up!

Lily Fluffbottom said...

Accidentally finishing a 5k is awesome. I can totally see you getting a PR in El Paso. Times, they are a changing!

And to go along with Jams quote: If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Impressive!

I liked the part about finishing the race and then you kept running - funny :)

Glad you are settling into your new place - a lot of big changes, but you're handling it with grace...really great!

Miz said...

very impressive.
and, Im hoping for me this morning, INSPIRING :-)