Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just do it

When I was in high school, I was in band.  I know what you may be thinking, being in band is stupid.  Only geeks, nerds, or dorkfishes were in band.  And you know what?  You may be right. 

The difference is that my high school had a fantastic band.  As in the year I graduated, we were invited to play for the Russian government in Moscow.  As in composers wrote music for only our band to play.  And, as in we got this major award a few times, one that's only given out to one band in the nation each year.

Anyway, our band director was a pretty mean guy.  Sure, he put his pants on one leg at a time and all, but he was terrifying.  Oh who am I kidding?  He still IS terrifying. Everyone respected him - or at least that's what it seemed.  He demanded perfection and usually?  He got it.

He had a couple of sayings - ones that he'd say so often we'd all be rolling our eyes inwardly each time he said them.  When I was in high school, I suppose I was like most other high school students - which is to say, that I already knew everything and had little interest in listening to an old man (I mean, he had to be in his 40s!) telling me stuff that I'd never use.

As I've gotten older, I suppose I've gotten dumber, because his sayings are more motivational now.

"If you don't clap for yourself, who will?"

"Become the most enthusiastic person you know.  Even if you don't feel enthusiastic PRETEND to be enthusiastic.  Then you'll find that you ARE enthusiastic."

"Even if you don't feel like doing it, do it anyway."  We'll ignore the undertones of high school pressures of sex FOR NOW.

I think that I've been waiting to FEEL like losing weight.  I know I need to.  I know my joints want me to.  And I know it'd be healthier for me to.  I know I need to pay attention to my hunger signals. But I don't feel like it.  Even though if I don't do something soon, I'm going to need to buy new pants.

(sigh)

So today, even though I don't feel like it AT ALL, I'm still going to do SOMETHING. 

I have a phone interview at 1 PM that would mean a significant pay raise.  Not quite sure if the company is a good fit or not right now, but I suppose that's the point of first interviews.  I don't expect the interview to last all my lunch hour, so I plan on walking around my new office area with what's left of the hour. 

It's not anything significant - nothing like when I used to change into my running clothes, run a 5K and then shower again in my lunch hour...but it's SOMETHING.

I don't feel like it.  But I'll pretend that I do anyway.  Maybe Mr. Lambrecht was right...maybe doing it anyway will make me more likely to want to do it next time.

Fake it until you make it, right?

7 Comments:

the strawberry said...

Love the quote about clapping for yourself- too true!!

Maybe going through the motions will help get your head back in the game? You've had a rough few months, so it makes complete sense that your focus is elsewhere right now. Hope the interview goes well!

Polar's Mom said...

Award for you on my page...

Good luck on the interview-hope it is a good fit!

I have a quote for you from a former teacher of mine...if you don't sell yourself no one else will. In other words, put it out there and sweat your own awesomeness. ;-)

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Fake it till you make it. I see that a lot. It all comes back to attitude every time, doesn't it? Great post - uplifting.

Best of luck on the interview and hope it's right for you.

Jams said...

Absolutely! Fake it until you make it. Before you know it, you won't be faking it any longer! You can do it woman!

Lanie said...

You're right. I need to stop wallowing and start faking! Go me!

Elena said...

"Sell yourself"could be your motto for a successful life.

Katy said...

Did you play the clairnet? You seem like a clairnet gal.