Friday, April 15, 2011

History In The Making

I couldn't deal with not having the ability to blog during the day or what is turning into being multiple business trips without taking along another laptop so... I decided to get a new iPad!! So this is the first blog post that I'm writing via my iPad through an app called blogsy. Not sure yet how well it will work, but it's worth a shot - especially since I can't blog via blogger.com because they insist on using flash and the iPad doesn't support that.

So, lets start off by recapping last week's events, shall we?

My sister did indeed get married. And my grandmother died while they were exchanging their vows. No kidding.

The thing is she was in hospice in Chicago so it wasn't a complete surprise, but it was horrible that it happened when it did. I know my dad wished he could've been there. And it was tough because no one wanted to tell my younger sister that she died. Instead, all of us slapped a smile on our faces, indulged in the distraction of our choice, and kept the secret from her. My family is great at that sort of thing - keeping secrets and indulging in distractions. Mine was the cheese plate.

My younger sister found out the next day and I spend hours consoling her via the phone - which was similar to the hours I spent consoling my older sister and father the day before.

I have got to get a good support system of my own.

Joe was great at the wedding and was such a huge help - both to my and my family - as evidenced by his last minute trip to go back to my mom's home to get the alcohol that they left at home 30 minutes before the wedding started. He's a trooper.

He even started saying things like "our wedding will be much better planned." To me, that meant that he was actually thinking about OUR wedding. To him, he was remarking about the poor planning. It was rhetorical. I found that out at last night's therapy session. To say I'm let down and disappointed is a huge understatement.

What has become clear in the thousands of pictures floating around my family's Facebook pages is that I have gained a lot of weight.

In fact, over the last year, I've gained between 25 and 30 pounds.

There. I wrote it.

(sigh)

A part of me is so frustrated and disappointed in ME. A part of me is reminding myself of all the stress I've had in the last year. A part of me doesn't think that's an excuse at all. A part of me is completely petrified of comments saying "I told you so." A part of me wants to tell those people to go f&ck themselves.

But more than that, I know I should do something about it. I just feel so far away from the success I had last year. I feel like a failure. I've been acting like one.

(sigh)

So what do I do now?

Well, the first step is to decide if I really want to do anything about it or not. Some days I'm not sure.

Of course I want to be thinner. Of course I want to be healthier. But I don't want to do the work some days.

Here's what I do know, I want to enjoy life more than what I do now. I want to have more energy. I want to get out in the sunshine more often. I want to do things for me again. I want to turn off the tv more. I want to have pride in my looks again.

I want to enjoy MY life and myself more.

I think that if that is truly my goal, I can find ways to do that. Maybe it isn't running right now. Maybe it's taking a pottery class and getting out there more; finding a way to take pride in myself and my abilities. Maybe it's trying a yoga class. Maybe it's walking in the sunshine at the park nearest my work on way home one day.

Somehow, in the midst of surgeries, weddings, deaths, changing jobs, and waiting for boyfriends to come around, I've lost ME.

It's about time I find myself again. Honoring my true self probably means I'll be happier and I bet that when I start finding myself again, I'll find that I don't need the food to push down my unhappiness.

Or at least, that's my hope.

6 Comments:

Lily Fluffbottom said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. How epic for it to happen the way it did.

*hugs*

You'll figure it out. I have faith in you.

Missy said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother, Anne.

As for the weight gain, it happens.

I think it's inevitable that we have a lot of two steps forward, one step back kind of days/weeks/years. I gained 40 pounds after losing my job, joined WW, lost 15, couldn't maintain it during WW, gained it all back plus 5 when I quit WW. WW was a great support, but I wasn't addressing what caused me to eat in the first place with WW, so there was no way it was ever going to work.

You'll figure it out. I think it's like kicking an addiction. So many people go to rehab and are clean for years, but relapse. It's much the same for us, I know it.

One day at a time.

We love you.
Missy

turleybenson said...

Love you anne. Been thinking about you.

Miranda said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

As for the gain? It happens. No one likes it but most of us have been there. Try not to beat yourself up. Instead take a deep breath and regroup. Try to pin down what you want your new goal to be (it's okay to change things up! Don't feel guilty to "abandoning" the previous plan!) and start small.

You can do this, dude. You've got the whole Internet cheering you on. :-)

Kris said...

...o'h Anne, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandmother dying....
I was thinking about your weight gain and was wondering how much you have LOST? Yes, you have gained, but (and I am only talking about weight) how much have you kept off, have you LOST on this journey?
I look forward to going on this journey with you...the one where you find yourself and your happiness....

The Chubby Girl Diaries said...

First, I am SO sorry for the loss of your grandmother! Regardless of the fact that everyone knew the time was coming where she would pass on, I don't think it makes it any less of a loss. Know what I mean? My prayers for you and your family!

Secondly, I am SO there with you about the weight gain and loss of direction. In fact, you have inspired me to write about this subject on my own blog!! :)

All I know is that you will find your way again. You have to know that you are beautiful, intelligent and an all around good person!

Sometimes, it seems like the media, society, etc. tells us that in order to feel good about who we are, we must be the epitome of physically fit. Because if we are 30-100+ pounds overweight then there's no way we can be or deserve to be happy. I get so sick of that message sometimes. /End rant

I am thinking of you and i know that you will figure it all out!! (((HUGS)))

~Kellie