Tuesday, May 24, 2011

After the Rapture...

Last week, when I packing for my trip to Chicago, I left my suitcase out in our bedroom so that I could throw things in as I thought of them. (Is here when I say that after years of frequent travel, I *still* don’t pack the night before I leave? It’s always the morning of the trip.) It’s also an invitation to an unspoken request that Joe and I have for each other - a way to unobtrusively tuck in little notes in the other person’s luggage. Since I’m the more frequent traveler, typically I send a card while I’m away or leave him a note or two for him to discover while I’m gone.

When I got to Chicago, I discovered a few notes – and they’re usually filled with the endearment that Joe and I call each other. I always feel good and loved when I find a new one.

But Thursday night – the night before I was leaving – I discovered the last note, tucked into my running shoes.



A simple “I love you” was all the note said – and it was a great boost to don my running gear and head down to the hotel’s dreadmill. Normally, I love to run outside…but it was 4 in the afternoon, it was hot, humid (for this Colorado gal) and sunny. And I forgot my sunglasses at home. Oh yeah, and I was in a completely foreign suburb right off the highway and busy streets. Probably not the safest thing I’d attempt.

The dreadmill was the only viable option –and that’s what I chose.
I remember a time when I was able to run for 5 miles without stopping or walking. I remember a time when I was pacing under 10 minutes a mile. Those times are not now.

Now I suck wind at the ¾ mile mark. Now I resort to walking one song and running for another. Now my pace is slower. Now is painful.

But I did it. I slugged through the 4 km I had planned.


It relaxed me and made me feel more in control before I had dinner with my father (who was about 15 minutes away from where the hotel was). Time with my father usually makes me feel tense and out of control.

As I build my pace and distance once again, I hope I hold onto the memory of these tougher times – when I can look back and say “look how far I’ve come!”

Last night in my Weight Watchers meeting, our leader asked about ways to keep workouts from being boring. There were a few suggestions from other people, but I realized my own truth inside of me: I used to love running races. I loved trying to improve upon the last one. I loved wearing the race shirt later. I loved being motivated by someone my size (or bigger) who trudged along and ran the whole thing too. I loved pushing through when I felt that I couldn’t (or didn’t want to) run another step.

That is how I kept running fresh.

I’m going to pick out a race to run in the next month. Initially, I wanted to run the Undy 5000, but it’s on June 25th and that’s our anniversary…and we’ve already been talking about going out of town.

I want to pick a race that will be fun – and one that when I wear the shirt afterwards, I can be reminded of a time when I found myself again.

6 Comments:

Auntie Mandy said...

Talk about fun! You could come out to NW Ohio on July 23rd for our Athletic Booster's 5K! I'm doing it! My cousin is thinking about coming out! C'mon...it will be fun! There are no boring mountains here!

Anonymous said...

You are so cute I can't stand it!
I ran one Saturday. Actually there was way more walking. I had literally not run at all in the last month. But I didn't die! You should totally sign up for a 5K, just to do it. You'll surprise yourself. :)
So proud of you for running on the hotel dreadmill. Ugh. You're a winner just for that!

Chubby McGee said...

AWWWWW to the notes. ;)

Katy said...

I agree with happy pants. Running on the treadmil at a hotel?!? You need to be honored for that one!

Lily Fluffbottom said...

So... August is totally not June, so I'll offer this one up: http://www.anchoragerunningclub.org/bwlr2011/


I'm just so glad you're posting again! Glad you survived the rapture!

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

I use to hid notes in my hubbies travel bag! I should start doing that again.

I am a fellow WW! I have a healthy lifestyle blog and since I have gained back a few pounds I thought it would be great to get some people together for a challenge. I am hosting a Small Change Challenge to kick off Summer in a good way!

Stop by and read about it and see if it is something you would like to join. There will be prizes!

http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/05/small-change-challenge/