Monday, May 4, 2009

Hey baby, what's your number?

How do you find out what number your weight loss goal should be?

I'm genuinely perplexed as I have no real idea what mine should be. I posted about this on Slackey's blog, but I'm kind of at a loss for what that final number should be.

I feel this way for two reasons:
1) to get to the top end of my goal weight (accordig to WW), I should lose another 55 pounds or so. At this rate of weight loss (pounds vs pants size), I would be about a size 6. A size 6 on a big boned 5'9" frame sounds too little to me.
2) I've been doing reading about how the BMI is a bunch of hooey. That's where WW gets it's ranges from. Apparently BMI (because it only takes into account your weight and height) is not as great of a measure. It doesn't take (too much) into account your frame and your muscle mass. But BMI is what most healthy weight ranges base themselves on...so it's like this weird vicious cycle.

I don't know if I've lost perspective on this though. I've been heavy for so long that I don't even know what we SHOULD weigh. Americans are obese (that's no surprise) so I'm not going to be surprised that as I lose weight people will be telling me to stop, that I'm getting too thin. That's what happened when I lost weight the first time, and I was 14 pounds away from reaching the upper end of the WW goal. And to be honest, it was daunting dealing with all of those people who felt that it was their personal responsibility to tell you what was too fast and what was or wasn't healthy. It's not like they were doctors, they were just co-workers. Anyway, that's another topic all together (sorry for the rambling).

I guess I'm just wondering how people decide when to stop or what number to aim for. Any ideas? Suggestions?

3 Comments:

Mark and Joella said...

I totally agree that ww goals are somewhat unrealistic. When I got down to my smallest, I was a size 10, almost an 8. And I was still about 15 pounds from the top end of my range. I think you just need to find a weight that you can maintain and one that you are comfortable with. If it's above the ww range, then I would just get a note from your doctor.

Oh yeah, and I started going to ww meetings again. It hasn't been working for me to do it on my own at home. It's too easy for me to get off track and then blow the whole week. I need the accountability of going to a meeting...and knowing I am paying for it :)

Levi said...

I don't think I was ever a size 6, not even at age 6.
But I am the same height as you. I don't care what WW says about what they think I am supposed to weigh. I just strive for health and a healthy feeling, along with acceptance...
(Please..dear goddess - that's self acceptance!)
And *I* get to decide what the word "strive" means to me too! Yay!

Slackey said...

Yeah, the number is what baffles me too. Like you, I've always been heavy. Even with the weight up right now, I'm weighing in about what I weighed when I was around 13. But again, I guess the important part really isn't the number. It's the whole getting healthy thing.

Whatever number you choose, I have faith that you can do it. Keep up all the good work!