Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'm a lover, not a quitter

This morning I got up early (especially for a Saturday) and decided that I would go for a run/walk at the gym. I've been wanting to continue to use my gym membership, but ever since it's been nice out, I've been doing a lot more activity outside.

As I was walking and running (alternating - I still have to be good to my knees), I realized that this was no fun. I was making myself run or walk at a certain pace. I was hot, sweaty, and wasn't getting any air in my face. I hated it.

So I got off.

I got off the treadmill and decided to walk outside all around where my gym was. There is SUCH a cute neighborhood right by the gym and I loved walking all around, stopping to pick up the brochures of the houses for sale, pausing to pet dogs, and just having a great time.

THAT is healthy.

While my scale may not change a lot in the next few weeks (I'm still dealing with what I posted about last time and I'm being smart to realize that dealing with that is important - not the numbers on the scale right now), I have a moment to pause and congratulate myself for the healthy mindset. 4-5 years ago I wouldn't have gotten off the treadmill and I would've made myself continue - because everyone knows healthy people work out at the gym. If you quit? Well, then you're a quitter...and that is the worst thing in the world.

Now, 4-5 years older, I've realized that taking care of yourself and doing what you want to do IS healthy. It doesn't mean that I'm a quitter. It means that I am starting to put myself first. Instead of hating myself and wondering what others were thinking as I stopped, having only run 1.4 miles on the treadmill, I loved the part of me that loves nature. I loved the part of me that's learning to be flexible, the part of me that's learning that adapting to a change in plans yields some unexpected results. I loved the part of me that's doing what feels good.

And I *feel* healthier. Mind, body, and spirit...it's a great place to start and a great place to keep coming back to.

Thanks for your support people - it means the world!

0 Comments: