Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I just wanna' be normal

I read Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit's post about how he finally got to be "normal" according to his Wii Fit.

And it was so inspiring.

Pretty much all of my adult life, I've been considered obese by BMI standards. Now, I am a tall girl so I'm not altogether certain that the BMI should be the end all be all of measurements...but I honor that most health experts feel that it is a good measurement. The range (at least for my height) is 43 pounds. And to be honest, it seems like most people (at my height) should be able to fit in that range. It's how Weight Watchers sets it's goals and in lieu of other hard calculations, it seems to be pretty workable.

I have lots of goals - some number related and some not.

I'm looking forward to the day of when my boyfriend asks if I am cold and if I'd like to borrow a jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt from him, I can say "yes" and know that it will fit.

I can't wait until I'm able to mark "M" for my t-shirt size for races.

I can't wait until I'm able to look at my closet and KNOW that any one of those pieces of clothing will fit because my weight doesn't fluctuate by complete sizes on a regular basis.

I can't wait until I get to buy nice things and know that they will be around for years because I'm committed to staying the size I am.

I can't wait to get under 200 pounds (I'm close!).

I can't wait to get to the lowest weight I've been as an adult (182).

But I really can't wait until I get to my goal weight and am finally considered "normal."



P.S. I am aware that I am pittifully low on graphics in posts. So today I wanted to find some image that screamed "normal" to me. So I decided to go to google.com and search the images section for "normal." And WOW. Apparently "normal" means show me women's body parts. I'm still a little shocked.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Women's body parts? Seriously? The mind boggles.

Your "I can't wait" list reminded me again of my biggest "I can't wait".

I can't wait to be able to buy pretty underwear and know it'll look cute. I'm kind of bored with the functional stuff.

Margie M. said...

Great post, and it begs the question, "what really IS normal"? We've been giving lots of info on that from the world of thin folks and it hasn't been very helpful to me. You are normal...you just aren't the size you want to be right now. But you WILL be, of that I am certain! Good job.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Thanks for the shoutout. All I can tell you is to just stick with it. When I began, the miles that I had to stride seemed too much to even consider. I didn't get too wrapped up in the big picture; I just concentrated on putting a good day together and then trying to repeat that performance the next day. Time goes by more quickly than you think, and if you can keep stringing together good days, you'll find that it's really not so far off in the distance after all. Even small steps, as long as they're in the right direction, will get you where you're going.

Florida Food Snob said...

I love this list! We all have those "I can't wait to" but we seem to focus on the numbers only -You have inspired me to do a similar list! The feeling you will have when you finally check M for your shirt size is like amazing!

Levi said...

I'm not doing that "I can't wait" b.s. I'm living now.

My word verification is "tasted." How apropos!?