Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's the little things

One of the things I dislike the most about hotel rooms is the towels. If they're not smelling of bleach, they're scratchy. And the "bath" towel is about the size of a postage stamp. Sometimes, I have to double check to make sure that I'm not drying off with a hand towel!

At home, I love to get out of the shower and wrap myself with a plush, soft towel. Now, I'm sure they're not the plushest, the biggest, or the highest quality, but the thing that I love the most about them, is that they FIT around me when I wrap it around my newly clean body.

Not so much with the hotel bath towel.

This morning when I got out of the shower in my hotel room, I dried off with their towel and as I walked to the bedroom area of the room, I passed by the mirror and took a look. I was amazed, once again this trip, at how I've been able to have the towel close around me completely. No peeking through at the bottom.

To assure you, this towel *is* bigger than the other ones that I've had at hotel rooms. But for the life of me, I can't remember the last time this happened.

It's the little things that keep me going.

It's flying with assurance that the seat belt *WILL* fit around my middle without being uncomfortable the whole flight.

And soon, it's going to be knowing that when I go to the doctor's office and they weigh me on a traditional scale that I don't have to sheepishly say "it's the next one over" (to 200) when they start with the big weight on the 150 pound mark.

I'm trying to take the time to recognize those little successes. Because they add up to eventually be a whole new me - a whole new way of living. A whole new norm.

What are some of the "little" successes you've had recently?

I want ideas of what to look forward to!

10 Comments:

Kellie said...

One of my little successes is the fact that i'm starting to feel energized from daily jaunts to the gym. I used to feel dead-dog-tired but now that is being replaced with a sort of relaxed and alert feeling. I love it!

Congratulations on the 0.6 pound loss! Traveling can wreak havoc on weight loss so it's good that you kept on track! :o)

~Kellie
http://chubbygirldiary.com

Emily said...

It is all about the small things, small accomplishments, small compliments, etc. They all impact us the same way and they DO build up overtime! I am also on WW and am now to a point where I have reached my goal and am maintaining. But there were SEVERAL days, weeks, months when I would gain instead of loose that felt so defeating. Now that I am maintaining I look back at those weeks (40 lbs ago) and realize how it was all the little tweaks that got me where I am.

Good luck!

Florida Food Snob said...

Ugh - I'm that girl that enjoys bleach hard towel :-/ It so funny what makes us all smile...

Levi said...

My successes include losing 3.8lbs last week, tracking daily and a somewhat dubious x-ray result.

Lisa said...

Hey there! Guess it's time to stop lurking and let you know I left you a wee gift on my blog:)
congrats on the towel!! I'm a soft plush fluffy towel girl myself!
Xo

Mark and Joella said...

Congrats on the towel...that's awesome :) And I can totally relate to the airplane seat! I hated it when it was so tight and I was uncomfortable. I have even had to ask for an extender before...embarrassing :(

My "little" success I had recently was fitting into a high school desk :) Our robot team started meeting this week and we were meeting in a classroom at the high school. Last year it was a tight squeeze to sit in the desks, but this year there's a little space between my belly and the desk :)

Margie M. said...

Not being afraid to step on the scale may be my biggest "little thing" after losing weight.

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

Amy P said...

I had a similar hotel towel moment in October. It's amazing how much less self conscious it made me feel, even when no one else was in the room to see me. I of course did a little happy dance.

This week, I noticed that my butt is a whole lot closer to my heels when I do child's pose than it ever has been.

Lyn said...

Not being afraid to sit in someone else's lawn chair. It's a big deal to me. When someone says "have a seat" and gestures, I CAN SIT. No fear of breaking it.

Tatulah said...

When I was reading this, I was nodding my head. I can't remember the last time a towel wrapped around me either - especially at a hotel. Congrats on your towel ;P success!