Monday, November 17, 2008

Learning to say "thank you"

I love my Weight Watchers meeting. It is by far the best group I have ever been affiliated with - the people at that meeting are fantastic!! There are several who have lost a lot of weight and are in the maintenance part of their "journey" - and I find them so inspiring! Those that haven't reached goal yet are such cheerleaders for everyone else. I really look forward to seeing them each week - and I know that if I were gone, they would wonder what happened to me and where I was.

But what I noticed was that tonight, when people were congratulating me on my loss this week, I said "Oh thanks - but it's no big deal - I have so much more to lose!" And while part of that statement is accurate (I do have a lot more to lose), I am proud of the weight that I have lost - especially since I had a HUGE meltdown this past week and chose to NOT eat out of comfort.

I guess I'm realizing that while I do have a lot more that I want to lose, for me to downplay what I have already lost would be silly. I have lost five points on the BMI scale. I am really proud of what I have done...because as great as the outside transformation is, the inside transformation is pretty amazing too.

I'm trying to learn how to take compliments. And I'm trying to learn that self-deprecation helps no one.

Any advice from those of you who have been there? Any tips on what you did during your transition?

1 Comment:

Psalmist said...

I wish that I had something helpful to add! I don't take compliments that well either, not that I don't appreciate them. I guess that I'm afraid of coming across as full of myself, but I run so far in the other direction that I dismiss what I *have* done, just like you said you do. Is it easier for you when people don't mention your weight loss? Or does it help to have such positive attention?