Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cracking in two...

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before." ~Jacob A. Riis

This weekend, I had originally planned on running a local 7K (The Runnin' O' The Green).  I ran it last year - even though it ended in snow and Joe was in bed, warm and cuddly.  But this year?  I didn't sign up; I just cuddled.

I couldn't run 7K straight if I tried.

But the worst thing?  I didn't.  Try that is.

On May 1st, I'm already signed up for a 5 mile run, the Cherry Creek Sneak.  I did it last year and it was a bunch of fun.  Well, maybe not fun, I mean afterall, it was difficult.

Anyway, on January 3rd of this year, I registered for this year's Cherry Creek Sneak.  Know what that means?  Yes, that's right - I have about 6 weeks to get in shape and be able to run 5 miles. 

I'm up for the challenge.  I can add 1 mile per week and then work on my speed for that distance throughout the week.

Somehow, having a tangible goal to work towards helps me out.

What's more, this change in me - to be healthier in my mind, body, and spirit may not be discernible from day to day...but over the course of a longer time period, the change is undeniable.

9 Comments:

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Go get it! You can do it!!!

Jams said...

You're going to rock it! Maybe that day, I'll run 5 miles in honor of you! I'll be in Florida getting wedding-ready!!!

Chubby McGee said...

GO! GO! GO!

I can't wait to see you train AND succeed in your 5K! GO! We're rooting for you.

Lanie said...

Forgive yourself for not trying, and start moving. Move, eat, breathe, and continue on your path. I know you will rock this thing!

Anonymous said...

Woot - go for it. You can do it.

Parry Peach said...

Ahh, The Sneak. I've signed up a couple of times in the past and NEVER even gave it an honest effort. One step at a time - one mile at a time. Maybe we can both find our momentum and motivation to reach our goals - mine is the Denver half-marathon (walk) in October. Maybe you didn't run The Green, but at least you cuddled with someone special and that's a gift you should never regret. You have six weeks to train - don't look back. The Finish Line is ahead of you! I bet you cross it easily.

Anonymous said...

Can you list the Walgreen's winner in case our spam filter stopped it.

Val said...

Glad you're "rockin" the runs and honoring that our bodies aren't machines and what they need does change.

There's an award for you over at my place if you get a chance to pick it up... http://valunboxed.blogspot.com/2011/03/say-hello-to-twins.html

kristi said...

You can totally do it! I'm in a similar boat as I am planning on the June 11 LA Triathlon (sprint distance) and I'm nowhere near the condition I need to be! Let's get out there and get training!