Wednesday, March 9, 2011

True Perseverance

(source)
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."  ~Walter Elliott

I came across the above quote and it hit me right across the face with it's simplicity.

I mean, wouldn't that be nice if someone could give a miraculous answer of how to solve this whole "weight problem" thing once and for all; one where you never slip up?  It'd be pretty awesome.  I suppose that's why I've bought more exercise equipment via infomercials than I care to admit.

The thing is, getting to a goal weight isn't one long trend of stick-to-it-ness. It's probably not done by one person waking up one day and deciding to have 100% healthy meals and 100% awesome work-outs every day.  It's not about being perfect for ever and ever.

For me, it's about small goals, small things that I do now or can learn to do well with practice. Then I add another trend or practice on...until ultimately, I'm a much healthier version of me. Those habits form a long chain of resolve - one that results in me being a changed person.

I've been having these a-ha moments recently where I'm realizing that I'm turning down sweets more often - just because I know I don't like the way my body feels on refined sugar. I've started to realize that with more sleep, I function better. And I've been recognizing how when I eat something that's "diet-like" it's because that's what my body needs to fuel itself - and not because I know that eating it will result in a smaller waistline.

This week, I'm going to focus my game on one (admitedly) small thing that over time will create a big win: for one whole week, I'm going to promise to drink a lot more water. When I drink more water, I feel better; I'm fuller, my skin looks better, and I feel wonderful.

Time for you to share: what are you working on this week; what's your current short race?

5 Comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

It's those realizations that truly make the difference on this journey, I think.

When I turn my brain off and just go with the flow, that's when I hit that slippery slope that does so much damage. That's when I veer off path and off plan and quickly (oh so quickly) undo all the hard work that I've put in up to this point.

I blog every day because it keeps my focus on what I'm doing and the task in front of me. I may not make every post be strictly about health and wellness and dieting (okay, okay... maybe not enough of them are, actually) but make no mistake about it: every day, I'm thinking about what it is I need to do to get the job done with this, the only body I'll ever have on this earth.

Perseverance is the the most important tool in the toolbox.

Chubby McGee said...

OMG! I love that quote! I'm going to think about that when I workout tomorrow. Thank you!

I adore the small goals thing. If we look at the big picture I'm afraid that heads will explode with stress.

You've got this, babycakes. Focus on that one small thing and push. Things WILL change for the better.

kristi said...

That's a great quote! I practice the small goals mindset too because larger goals just seem too overwhelming. On my Bodybugg program, I set my targets in 12 lb. increments because let's face it... 50 or 60 lbs. just seems too hard!

This week I joined a triathlon club, so that means group workouts 4 times this week, plus sticking to a training plan. It will be work, but rewarding. Although, I managed to gain 3 lbs. since Sunday??

Parry Peach said...

Great quote After all is said and done, it's the consistent small changes that really create transformation, isn't it?

Next week I'm starting a Zumba class. Till then, it's walk, walk, walk and more walking! And lots of fish since Lent starts today.

One step at a time. I really enjoy taking small steps with you by reading your blog, which I enjoy very much.

Bouncing off the Fat said...

"just because I know I don't like the way my body feels on refined sugar"

Giving up sugar was the best things I could have done for my body. I have had so many benefits from cutting out all sugar from my diet. I workout on a mini trampoline everyday - since quitting sugar my workouts have taken me twice as far with my weight loss. My metabolism is faster. I don't feel depressed. And, I have way less junk food cravings than before. It's like without sugar you don't desire it anymore. You can just focus on getting healthy and exercise full force without the binge days.