Monday, January 9, 2012

Review on the new WW Barcode App

About six months ago, I was standing in line to be weighed at my Weight Watchers meeting and a fellow buddy and I were talking about the WW app for our iPhones.

I made the statement that what would be REALLY cool is if you could scan the bar codes on the products and WW would automatically calculate the points. 

Obviously, I don't think that WW is bugging their weigh in lines, but they created the app that I was talking about!

Here's what I know about the app:

1) First of all, it's a separate app.  You have to download it separately. All of the people in my meeting didn't know.  I suspect that has everything to do with the fact that the average person in my meeting is at an age where smart phones aren't exactly "their thing."

2) It works! 

You just align the red bar with the bar code and viola!  It gives you your points plus values in just a few seconds.

I took it to the store last week and used it.  I wanted to get some chocolate pudding from the store and given the nine thousand different varieties, it would've normally taken me a few minutes to enter all the values into my calculator on the app and try to remember which value belonged with which product.  With the bar code scanner, I had my answers within a few seconds and easily picked out the one I wanted.

The cool thing about the scanner is that after you scan the bar code, it actually shows you a mini picture of the product with the description.  It's helpful because it makes it much easier to keep separate items straight when you're comparing points plus values.

To give you an example, I just scanned in my Crystal Light package and put the picture to the right.

Also, if you ever wondered what my keyboard at work looks like, now you know.  See?  I'm a giver.

3) I wish that it was an upgrade to the current WW app and not a separate one.  First, you have to log in every time you use it (the app remembers your user name and password so this isn't a huge deal), but it's just weird that you have to switch back and forth between this app and the regular app to see all of your stuff.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this app and I'm glad that Weight Watchers is striving to make their already award-winning program easier to use.

5 Comments:

Christina said...

I want this app so bad but I don't have a smart phone, I checked with my cellphone provider and the cheapiest phone they have that I can buy to be able to use this app is 149.00, I'm not sure its worth spending all that money for but I sure do wish I had it.

Dillypoo said...

I wish the scanner was part of the eTools app, too. Maybe they'll be able to integrate the two sooner rather than later!

christina said...

I so need a cooler phone!

MizFit said...

ooooh I SO need me an iphone.

Jennifer Perkins said...

I wish the app worked with my iPod Touch. I have the app and can type in the barcode in, but the camera scan does not work. Plus I am realizing I buy a lot of store brand items and it never works on that.