Sunday, April 19, 2009

I'm very bummed

Yesterday I was on the treadmill running and all of the sudden, my knee hurt REALLY badly....like my kneecap and the fluid behind it. I've been careful to warm up and stretch, but apparently yesterday it was just too much.

And I am so very bummed.

I'm bummed that for the first time, my body can't do really what I want it to do.

I'm telling myself that after I lose another 25 pounds, I'll try it again. And I'm trying to tell myself that I should be happy to just be able to move my body - and that walking is okay too. The thing is, whatever I did to hurt it was significant enough that stairs are hurting it.

I know, I know. I'll go see a doctor for sure...but I did some preliminary checking and it seems like the injury that I have is one that could definitely heal with time.

It's just that my very first 5K was supposed to be this coming weekend, one week from today. And it's that I've been training for it and that I know that I could run the whole thing. I even have a buddy to run with...

(sigh)

So I'm bummed. And I'm going to try to figure out what I can do to challenge me - even if it's just walking. My blogging friend, Bonnie, challenges herself with a pedometer. And that would probably be a good thing to do...even if it means an upgrade to a pedometer.

I'm trying to remember that I done LOTS of somethings positive for my body. The weight that I have lost so far is definitely helping my knees - and so I guess I'm glad that I started when I did...or else it would've been worse by now.

But for now, I'm just frustrated.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with a painful knee. One of the reasons I don't run is because of the meniscus in my right knee. It is wearing thin, and will eventually tear. Some days I can barely make it up and down the stairs in my house. I am so glad I am losing weight, because it is helping with some of the pain. Take care of your knees before something serious happens to them. Feel better soon, and don't push yourself so hard. If you have to walk the 5K, then so be it! You can always run the next one! :)