Monday, February 1, 2010

Ying and Yang

Last week, Joe and I went to a mongolian grill. If you've never been, I highly recommend it because it's quite the experience. In our situation, your server gives you a bowl and you load it up with as many veggies and meat as you want. Then you're able to select any sauce that you would like to have mixed in it. A quick walk to a huge flat top grill and the grillers cook your food to perfection.

It is DELICIOUS and quite the way to eat as healthfully as you want.

That night at dinner, Joe asked me if we had any plans for Saturday night. When I said that we didn't, he told me to be ready at 6ish, to dress up, and to save points for the night. That was all of the information. And if you've been reading this blog for at least a little while, you probably know that not being in control? It's not really my thing. I enjoy knowing and being able to plan...not just food wise.

So it was KILLING me to not know where we were going.

And then, when I was blow-drying my hair and trying to get it into a sexy sleek look (which never works - am I alone in this??), a horrendous thought came into my head.

What if he's taking me to the Jerry Springer show or some other live TV where your life changes in an instant?

Thankfully, that wasn't the case. :)

We actually went to The Melting Pot and it was delicious. Beyond delicious if you want to know the truth. If you've never been, The Melting Pot is a fondue restaurant where they serve four (FOUR!) courses and it takes hours to eat everything. I'm not kidding.

You start out with cheese fondue. And then you have a salad. Then you have all of the meats and some veggies. And just when you think you can't eat another bite, you eat more...because in front of you is the best chocolatey dessert EVER.*

And in the middle of our gluttonous adventure, we had 4 of their Ying and Yang martinis and a glass of wine. Basically, the martinis were spiked milkshakes with chocolate shavings on them - finished with two little chocolate buttons of yumminess.

I was full when they brought out the third course, but I KEPT EATING. Admitedly, I didn't eat even half of the meats that they brought out - I probably only had a third. I also asked for more fresh mushrooms instead.

I know. There are some of you reading this shaking your head in my general direction - and for the past two days, that's exactly what I've been doing to myself. I ate SO much - way beyond the point of enjoyment. My skirt felt tight, I felt bloated and just icky. And yet, I kept eating. Was it because I wanted to be gluttonous again - after weeks of not being so? Was it that I wanted to "fully" enjoy the restaurant so I wanted to eat whatever was placed in front of me? Or was it that the night was going to be SO much money that I didn't want Joe to think that I didn't like it or that I was wasting it? I don't know.

But this morning, I realize that because of the expense of that resturant, it isn't anything that we would do on a regular basis. I recognize that I ate way too much and that the food wasn't even all that tasty. Because of the broth that we cooked the meats in, everything kind of ended up tasting the same. The dessert was fantastic as were the martinis (more dessert). But everything else was just okay.

So if we ever go again, now I know how much food to expect. I also know that we would've been fine sharing a "feast" as long as we purchased an extra salad. It could be a healthier indulgence versus something that FELT bad.

Now, my weekend wasn't all bad. I went snowshoeing with a friend on Saturday morning and then Joe and I worked out together first thing on Sunday morning. I ran almost 3 miles (then a lady kind of threw a fit at the exercise room so I switched to the eliptical machine) while he lifeed weights. Afterwards, we went out to breakfast and instead of getting my usual egg, potato, and meat filled breakfast, I opted for a breakfast banana split - made with fresh fruit and yogurt instead of ice cream and toppings.

The scale this morning shows that I'm up a few pounds, which comes as no surprise.

I'm not overly frustrated with myself. I'm trying to realize that although I would do things differently if I went to the same restaurant, the damage has already been done. I've already eaten the calories. And to beat myself up further diminishes the great time that we did have at the restuarant. I felt special and spoiled. I was thought of enough, by someone I love, to be taken someplace really nice. We dressed up and looked great. We had fun. We got a few hours to talk and concentrate on just us - and all of that was absolutely fantastic.

So, do I want to learn from the bad? Sure. But do I want to keep the good too? Absolutely.

I'm learning that life doesn't have to be so black and white. Maybe there doesn't have to be a ying or yang opposite approach to life OR weight loss.



* You actually get to pick your cheese type as well as the broth for the meats and the chocolate. The chocolate melty yumminess that we had was the "Flaming Turtle" which kind of sounds like a gay bar. It was (in reality) milk chocolate with carmel and pecans. So. Very. Tasty.

4 Comments:

Lyn said...

I love the picture of the martini! How cute!

Sounds like you had a nice time overall. I know what you mean about eating beyond comfort and not being sure why. I've done that as well. And then I always wonder why!

Kellie said...

Mongolian is awesome! I love that place! And i've always wanted to try the Melting Pot.

I know what you mean about the hair. I get my hair to look good by sheer accident. I swear. On nights I am going out and want to look super sexy, my hair just doesn't work out. Or one side will look awesome and the other side not-so-much.

The martini looks yummy!

~Kellie

http://www.chubbygirldiary.com

Missy said...

I hear you. I was visiting family last week and we ate at a lot of restaurants that we don't have in Seattle, so my mentality was a sort of "I'll never eat here again! Better eat a lot!"

Margie M. said...

Oh yeah. Been there and done that. Oh yes....many times. Good thing is, we can begin the better eating plan with the very next bite we take. We don't have to prolong the celebration, we can begin to turn things around. It works.

Sounds like a great place for a meal with someone you love, too.

Margie writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com