Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Listen Up!

When I started working out about 12 years ago (and mp3s were the newest rage), I started compiling a workout play list.

The thing is, I never actually changed the list much. As I heard a song I liked, I'd add it to the list (I currently have over a 100 songs on my workout play list)...but I never really deleted the songs that were older. So when Britney Spears' "Stronger" comes on the rotation, I still like it, but I've been listening to it when I work out for 10 years, so I usually want to fast forward to the next song. I've had runs where I've fast forwarded through as many as 10 songs in a row before landing on one that I'd like to run to. It's a bit silly and interferes with my pace.

The distraction of listening to music is fun...but recently, I've discovered other things to listen to. Sure, there are books on tape or CDs on tape, but I haven't yet branched out into that world...yet.

I'm talking about the world of podcasts. In case you're new to the idea, podcasts are typically free and you can get them on iTunes or maybe directly through the original site. They're like little taped radio programs that you can listen to. I've listened to Jillian Michael's podcasts (which I actually love, but because I can't get them from iTunes, I don't remember to check her site as often) where it actually IS a radio show that's been taped for your listening pleasure. Other podcasts that I've listened to are just informational and not as much question and answer.

I've already told you about my recent experience with the podcast, "Two Fit Chicks and a Microphone" but there are other podcasts that I like to listen to too.

The one I'd like to recommend today is "Nutrition Diva's Quick and Dirty Tips For Eating Well and Feeling Fabulous."

The first thing I like about her podcast is that they are quick. Each podcast is about 5 minutes long which means that I can listen to several of them in any given run. So it's kind of like songs where the subject matter changes every 5 minutes...so it keeps my attention a little bit better than others. If I'm in the car and only have a few minutes until I arrive home, I can click on her podcast and know that I'll get a tiny snippet of information that will entertain me.

The second thing I love about it is that it is an information-dense podcast. She doesn't waste time boring you with mundane details about her life or experiences just to fill up space. Don't get me wrong, she shares details about her life, but only when they're relevant and she does it in a succinct way. She also doesn't waste time plugging her own materials/ads for other companies like other podcast hosts I've heard. She has one plug at the beginning and one at the end...and I think that's fair. In the middle is gooey wonderfulness where you can learn things about the health benefits of nuts to why a certain food diet fad is a bunch of crap.

The third thing is that she doesn't ascribe to one way to eat or a diet plan of any type. She simply gives you information so that you can make your own choice. She informs. Want to know about the benefits of fiber? She has a podcast on that. Is pasta really going to make you fat? She answers that too.

She's professional and pleasant sounding. I really enjoy her podcast.

The great thing is that with iTunes (which again is free and how I subscribe), the most recent podcast is synced each time I plug in my iPod/iPhone. I can also download all the ones from years past that I might've missed. It makes my runs a lot more enjoyable when I have options of things to listen to.

I'm interested to know what you listen to when you're exercising and if you're interested to read about the other podcasts that I enjoy...so let me know!

3 Comments:

Katy said...

My best friend loves Suzie Orman's pod cast. Some people love her, some hate her. Her boyfriend hates Orman and my hub hates her too, but she's entertaining and very straight forward. You know what song I love now? Train's Soul sister. I think it's totally cheesy, but I love it. Gets me in a good mood. I also love Will Smith too. WOW, basied on this post it looks like I have really horrible music taste. I like to think of it as eclectic. Put some Bob Marley on your new mix. Perfect summer-time running music!

Margie M. said...

When I exercise (walking) I listen to my husband drone on and on...just kidding about that. However, we do walk and just talk together the whole way which is usually 1 hour in length. It seems (even after almost 41 years together) we never cease to have something to talk about together. Sports, politics, weather, health concerns, family or food. It seems to make the hour fly by and before we know it we're finished.

I had a friend in Calif. when we lived there that asked me, "what do you guys talk about all the time? My husband and I rarely talk just for the sake of talking." Well, they were divorced a few years later. Maybe he is talking a lot to his new wife. Ya think?

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

Margie M. said...

When I exercise (walking) I listen to my husband drone on and on...just kidding about that. However, we do walk and just talk together the whole way which is usually 1 hour in length. It seems (even after almost 41 years together) we never cease to have something to talk about together. Sports, politics, weather, health concerns, family or food. It seems to make the hour fly by and before we know it we're finished.

I had a friend in Calif. when we lived there that asked me, "what do you guys talk about all the time? My husband and I rarely talk just for the sake of talking." Well, they were divorced a few years later. Maybe he is talking a lot to his new wife. Ya think?

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com