Monday, April 19, 2010

This post falls into the "miscellaneous" category

First of all, I want to thank you all for your kind and sweet comments on my last post, where I talked about my body issues and how they're becoming less of a big deal in my life with Joe. I'm finding more and more that if I can harness and reign in my thoughts regarding my size, weight, and food, I'll be more successful. And, not to freak anyone out, but I'm thinking about cancelling my commitment to Weight Watchers. Don't get me wrong, it's a great plan...and I love my leader...I just need for the focus to be less on points and on the number on the scale and more about the issues/habits that are keeping me fat. I'm still noodling it over in my head and am trying to figure out what it is that I want to do. The great thing is that my leader is awesome and I'm pretty sure that if I come to her and ask her to tweak her questions a tad, that she will do just that.

In other news, I am officially moved out of my house! Assuming that nothing goes wrong tomorrow, I'll be closing on my place. Moving out of my house was definitely a struggle. Joe and I moved stuff (or drove the U-Haul) for 10 long hours IN THE RAIN on Saturday. We had a tough time getting all of my stuff in the truck on one trip, so we ended up having to make two trips. And I had only rented a 10 x 12 storage unit...so we had a lot of what felt like "furniture Tetris" to get it all in the right spots. In the end, everything fit. But OH! We are SO sore from moving stuff all day! I offered to treat us to a couples massage next weekend (preferably Sunday, after I run my first 5 mile race!). Joe bought me a house-warming present (even though I'm staying with him) that I'll be sure to write about in a post soon!

Eating wise, I'm really looking forward to being back on track this week. We went to Costco, as we normally do, and got non-fat greek yogurt and fresh fruit to mix it with. We stocked up on veggies and I bought the things to make my tuna fish salad. I'm excited for a more "normal" eating pattern and definitely looking forward to not eating out as much as I have been. I just don't feel as good when I'm eating out - even if I'm trying to eat healthfully. We have plenty of frozen items to eat throughout the week and I'm looking forward to not wasting the food that we already have.

Lastly, I bought a book that I've been wanting to read. It's called "Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life." I bought it because it's really in tune with what I've wanted to accomplish in my life - mindfulness when it comes to food. I'll let you know what I think.

I think those are all the thoughts in my head at the moment! I had intended to go running at lunch, but I forgot my armband and headphones at my new home so I'll run tonight instead.

10 Comments:

Lesia said...

For me I KNOW that I could NEVER do what I am doing without the WW meetings and the support members. I wish you luck in your journey to find what you are looking for. Just remember the weight didn't appear over night and it is not going to come off over night either:)

Jams said...

I'm new to your blog and I've enjoyed it very much so far. I would suggest talking to your leader before you quit though. I say that because the meetings are what helped me reach my goal. Every time I stopped going to them, without fail, I'd flounder and gain weight back...

You can adjust the WW program so that you're still focusing on those good habits... and take the pressure off the scale by weighing in and asking them not to tell you what you weigh.

Of course that requires discipline in not looking at the weight record, but you can make that one of those good habits too!

Chin up, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Happy Fun Pants said...

Jams: That's precisely what I was thinking of doing - great minds think alike. Instead of her making a bigger deal of what I weigh and what I gained/lost, I'd like her to ask how I ate (mindfully) during the week. I'd like to tie in with her about if I ate past the point of satiety. I'd like to be mindful of sleep, exercise, etc.

My leader gets that there is some bigger issues that make and keep people bigger than what they'd like. I know that she is a proponent of that kind of "work" to achieve the results we want.

I really think that she'll be receptive to those types of questions/inquiries. Because I don't want it to be about the number - I want it to be about health. The weight is just a symptom.

Missy said...

Gah! I hope I didn't encourage you to think about quitting! But I do hope that what I've been saying has helped you think about your struggle with weight and how it's absolutely not about food (well, for me, it's not).

Good luck with that and with the cohabiting with the boy! :)

Katy said...

Here's my 2 cents. This may be more like 5 dollars, but here it is. I used to teach yoga, and during my teacher training I got some good advice I think back on often. The advice and the story go like this. There was this guy at a monistary. Every morning, every afternoon, every evening they sat in meditation. After a while it got old. His knees started to hurt from all the sitting, he got wrestless etc... He broke meditation to go up to his teacher and ask if it was alright to leave...like for good. His teacher said yes, but asked if he was settled. Confused, the student asked what he ment by it. The teacher responded, are you settled, or are you running from something. (something being discomfort, rules, points etc..)The teacher said that if he was settled, than he was free to go, but if not than he should stay until he was at peace with the IDEA of staying, then he should go. So my advice to you is leave if you're settled. If you think Weight Watchers has run it's course, then go, but if you feel like you're running from something, be it counting points, feeling chained down, then stay. If you can try to stay until you've reached the point where you feel like you're not leaving to break free, then you know you're leaving under the best circumstance. The idea being that there will always be something that makes us uncomfortable, but if we can learn to be relaxed with whatever it is, then we can make changes in our lives based on honest intention, rather than reactive actions. Does this make any sense? It makes sense in my head, but I'm never sure if it comes out coherent.

Levi said...

I understood what Katy said. I stopped going. I'd had my run. I had to stop.

And I want to read that book.

The Babe said...

I think we should start our own support group. :-)

And I've got to get that book...sounds right up my alley!

Margie M. said...

I like what Katy wrote in her comment. Something to think about for sure. Good luck with whatever you do...and I'll still be here reading your blog!

Have a great day!

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

Kellie said...

I have to say, the one thing that doesn't jive with me with Weight Watchers is that there is more to losing weight than counting points and getting in a little exercise. There are so many underlying and individual reasons for obese people.

You do what is right for you! You have come so far, I just know you'll be able to stay on track with or without WW. :)

~Kellie

TinaM said...

Do what is right for YOU.

I really like how Katy put it.