Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Intuitive Eater's Holiday Bill of Rights (part 2)

As you read this, I'll be on a 10-12 hour car ride from Denver to El Paso.  And if the past years are any indication, I'll probably be singing the Rent Soundtrack and the best of Madonna. 

You know what I won't be doing?  Snacking on gobs of unhealthy foods.  I've packed a cooler full of fruits, veggies, and healthy treats to keep me company when I'm hungry.

Last week, I wrote about the first right from The Intuitive Eater's Holiday Bill of Rights by Evelyn Tribole.  And I thought that I'd give you a second helping of it.


Right #2:  You have the right to enjoy second servings without apology.

That's right.  You don't have to go hungry if you don't want to.  Isn't that great?  That we live in a country and a place where the vast majority of us don't HAVE to go hungry?

But quickly on the heels of the second right, is the third...


Right #3: You have the right to honor your fullness, even if it means saying "no thank you" to dessert or a second helping of food.

Because really?  Who SHOULD care if you have a second helping or dessert?  No one.  You should be allowed to decide if you need more to feel satisfied - whatever the level that you want it to be.  And if someone tries to force seconds or thirds on you because that's what you've always done, YOU get to choose to say no.  If forced, you can take the additional helping or dessert home to enjoy later.  But it's your choice - and it's your right to not be over-full.

To me, these rules free me from old habits and old traditions.  Just because I pigged out last year, doesn't mean that I have to do that again this year.  Additionally, if I've always eaten like a bird in front of others (only to devour all my stocking treats in 5 minutes) I can eat as much as I need to feel satisfied. 

Why wait until 2011 to start new traditions and resolutions?  I say start now - with honoring yourself and your own satiety.

3 Comments:

Jams said...

Bravo! This is so true. All parts of it. Who says we can't have our cake & eat it too? We do.. so if we stop saying it, it means we can stop believing it.

I hope you have a marvelous holiday! Enjoy your healthy road-food.

Auntie Mandy said...

I am so much fun on road trips! Just ask me! Even more fun on airplanes!

Lanie said...

Oh my effing GAWD. Never get on an airplane with Mandy. NEVAH!

Those are great reminders and thanks for sharing them. I'm starting to get excited about the holidays now. Church, cousin's house, and mom's house . . .here I come!