Thursday, February 3, 2011

Today - all over again

As all of you know, yesterday was Groundhog Day.  And if you're anything like me, you're thinking of that movie with Bill Murray...and now you might even have "I've got you babe" stuck in your head.

As I was reading blogs yesterday, I came across Karen's at Waisting Time.  She wrote about Groundhog Day (the movie and the actual day) and asked, "So my questions for you today are these: Is there anything you would go back and change on you road to a healthy lifestyle? Or anything else in your life you’d like to do over, if you could?"

I gave my answer - that I would've liked to have gotten "with the program" sooner.  I would've told myself that I was worth it and that I COULD succeed sooner.  I would've done everything that I did, mistakes included, sooner.  Even if only a day sooner.

And then this a-ha moment hit me.

It may get a bit confusing, so work with me here...

What if there was a future self that was able to pick a day where you could really turn your life around?  Not a day that you DID turn it around, but that you COULD'VE?

What I mean is, what if there was one day - one day where you could either choose to be on the same path of unhealthy decisions or a path where you would change.  Where you'd make yourself matter, your partner matter, your kids matter.  Where you'd be a better mom, person, friend, or self?

We'd all like to believe that if given that opportunity to right the wrongs, to do better, we would take it. 

But, what if your future self picked today to be that day?

What if your whole life could be turned around by the lessons you learn today?

It's a motivating thought for me.  Not that some random day could be picked, but the idea that TODAY matters. 

TODAY counts. 

TODAY is the day to get closer to the goals I have and further away from the life I used to live.

And tomorrow?  It'll be today all over again...

7 Comments:

Karen said...

OMG - I love this! You are so wise:) And thanks for the mention.

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Amen to that. The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago; the second best time is today.

Gina said...

Sounds like it's time to put a stake in the ground...TODAY! Nice post ma'am!

Polar's Mom said...

Hmmm. I wouldn't want today to change. Or any other day. Sure being fat SUCKS, but this journey has taught me more about myself, or rather treating myself, interacting with my own thoughts, dealing with my own shit, that I don't think I would be this 'in my head' if I never had to deal with obesity. Would I ever have been forced to know myself, deal with my demons (that were there before I got fat). I hate my mistakes and trangressions, but they have made me ME, and I like the new semi-thin me more than I liked the old skinny me. By far.

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

Lanie said...

so put your little hand in mine
together there ain't no mountain we can't climb.


Babe.



I got you babe.

Dawn said...

This is so true for me too. I have been kicking myself over why I didn't get going on this sooner. Its better to think...at least I'm doing it now...I could have left it another 5 years...or not doin it at all.
Dawn

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I followed the logic - and wow! Neat thought.

Love you.