Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Running in -26 Windchill

Seriously, WHAT is up with this picture and/or sport??? 
It was too bizarre to not share...
In case you're not living in the Denver Metro area, I should probably tell you that it's been absurdly cold here.  Yesterday the *high* was *negative* three.  Last Friday it was almost 70.  Nice temperature swing, huh?

So yesterday morning, I had my last interview with "the" company.  Only I realized as I was leaving that I was running late.  Very late...as in, I'd have to hoof it to get there on time.

I should probably say here that I wanted to feel confident in my looks during this interview...and even though it was cold, I was prepared to forgo some "warm" items so that I would feel cute and confident.  That meant no hat, no bulky long underwear, and (I know I'm going to hear about this) no coat.  I didn't have one that would look cute over a suit...so I just didn't wear one.

It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that the front door to our building is almost two blocks away from the door to get into the parking garage.

So I did what any non-sane person would do in this situation.  I ran to my the parking garage.

And okay, I know what you're going to say.  You ran two blocks?  Whoop-dee-do. 

The thing is, I ran two blocks in -15 degrees and when I arrived at the door, I was completely fine.  No burning chest; no hacking cough.  Just frozen nostrils.  And hey - I wasn't freezing cold by the time I got to the door - win win!

I think I've been afraid to run - probably because my last run before my surgery was kind of traumatic.  But all this 30 Day Shredding has put me in better shape than I thought. 

Such good shape that I'm starting to have my confidence back for running...such that I plan on running at least once in the next week.  I know it may not sound like lofty goals, but I suspect that if I run and don't die on the treadmill that I'll continue to be back up and running in no time.

It feels good to feel more like ME these days.  Healthy, competent, confident me.

8 Comments:

Auntie Mandy said...

Were you wearing your running shoes? If not, what would have happened if your foot fell off with no velcro thingy attached to your shoelace?

Debbie said...

Congrats on the running and damn it is cold where you are. I was fussing because it is 24 here this morning. You are doing great..

reeceh22 said...

Omg...I should really stop crying about it being 25 here...lol

Jams said...

I'm glad you're feeling more like YOU again! :)

Polar's Mom said...

I'm still trying to get over having no coat on... ;-) Good for you-great NSV!

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

Lily Fluffbottom said...

Colorado does seem to have some pretty drastic weather changes. My cousin once told me of a day where it started out at 72 and sunny, and by 2pm, it was 30 and snowing.

I'm also pretty amused that its colder in most of the US right now than it is in Anchorage. I was actually overheated today walking to work. It was like, 32 out!

I hope you get the job! I mean, after all those interviews, you deserve it!

MizFit said...

I love the sentence about being good to feel more like you.
Im close.
Im not there yet.
THATS WHERE I WANNA BE.

Carla

Unknown said...

I just ran outside for the first time yesterday and I felt so free! It was wonderful! I think you are great though because it was not nearly that cold here!