Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The times, they are a changin'

So this weekend I hung out with my friend, Kelly - as I wrote about in my last post.

I noticed two major things that were significantly different than when we hung out and went skiing in years past...

1) We eat and drink differently.

In years past, we'd meet up at least twice a year...and during those times we'd throw caution to the wind and decide to eat and drink whatever we'd like. She came with that same mindset...and to be fair, maybe she saved her calories/points for that. It doesn't make a difference to me what other people eat or drink. But as she ordered eggs benedict, I realized I didn't want the same thing. Just because she was ordering something rich and tasty didn't mean that I had to order something equally as damaging in calories JUST BECAUSE she was.

Likewise, when we had lunch on the mountain, I finished each meal with half of a package of candy (Skittles one day and peanut M&M's the next) because I wanted something sweet and that is what they had available. She didn't want sweet stuff, but she helped herself to more glasses of wine/beer.

It was nice to be able to eat or drink what I wanted and not feel like I had to match it to anyone else.

I did eat and drink more calories than I normally would've in my day to day life. But I didn't go as overboard as I have in the past. And to me, that is progress.

2) I like exercise.

If you've never been skiing, it might suprise you to learn that when you ski down the hills, it's not a hill all the way to the bottom. In fact, towards the end of some "runs," it's actually rather flat. The only way to get to the next lift or to the lodge is to use your poles to propel you forward. You really have to dig in - putting your poles out in front of you and using them to pull you (on your skis) forward.

It's great exercise.

I used that time to really get a good workout in. I'd pole for a little while and then crouch in a squat so I had as little wind resistance as possible...which meant that I went faster.

Personally, I loved it. I was able to do the squatting on the slow spots and the dipping while skiing because I have built up my muscles by running, yoga, and strength training. I'm proud of what my body can do and was a bit disappointed when my friend asked if we could do different routes because she didn't like it.

I had a great weekend - and it was exactly what I needed and wanted.

Good times, good food, good conversation, and more sleep than I thought I could get.

Still, when it was done, I looked forward to cuddling next to Joe at night. Last night he talked on the phone with a friend of his while I was curled up next to him reading a book. It felt divine and was the perfect cap to a great weekend.

What's next? Well, today it's in the 70s here in Denver and I've packed my running gear so that I can run for a few miles at lunch.

My life feels great right about now.

5 Comments:

Levi said...

This sounds so great. Skittles have hydrogenated palm kernel oil - I just read that on the ingredients yesterday. I'm not sure about M&Ms. But who would think there'd be transfats in candy?

Okay, everything is sounds/seems really great. I need a "Joe" to cuddle but I'll survive. ;-)

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Skiing is a fantastic workout, especially for those upper thighs. Even if you're in relatively good shape, it'll create a burn.

Good job on changing your mindset towards your diet and being around friends. Positive steps...

TinaM said...

Great job this weekend!
I am very happy for you, because of your good choices and because life is good :) It seems you deserve some relaxation after the stress you have had (the house and everything). Keep this awesome attitude :)

Margie M. said...

Wonderful weekend of self-discovery. Part of every successful weight loss journey. Glad you had a great time!

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

Missy said...

Sounds like it was a lot of fun! :)