Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Feels like the first time...

This past weekend, Joe and I did our grocery shopping together.  Because of his crazy work schedule the past few months, this was kind of a big deal because it hadn't happened in so long.  We love to go grocery shopping together, typically to our local grocery store.  But we really love Costco.  I heart that store because I get to have wonderful fresh fruit all week long for a really inexpensive price.  Joe loves that store too - but it's mostly because he gets to eat the free samples.

It so happened that we happened to be at Costco around the 4-5 PM time frame.  Which meant that although we weren't starved, it was time to start thinking about what was for dinner.


We decided to pick up a rotisserie chicken and two other things I've never eaten before in my life.

First, Waldorf Salad.  If you don't know about this "salad" allow me to enlighten you.  It's like a fruit salad.  Ours had fresh chunks of tart green apples, red grapes, slivers of almonds, dried cranberries, celery, and a little bit of yogurt in it.  It was SO delicious! Joe has his with dinner as a separate side, but I had mine for dessert. 

It was fresh, tasty, and a different mix than what we would've normally put in a fruit salad. 

Second, hummus.
I know what you may be thinking...how has this girl not tried hummus before?  Well, here's the thing, I DETEST beans. They have a texture that is mealy and not pleasant.  AND I don't like the taste.  Hummus always looked...bean-ish to me which meant that I didn't want to try it.  It turns out that hummus is made with chickpeas (which are actually bean-ish). 

Anyway, I actually have tried hummus before, but I found it bland and not tasty.  And mealy. And bean-ish.  But when we were at Costco, they had a sample of Garden Fresh Gourmet's version of Hummus.  And OH MY was it tasty!  It was creamy and had some good flavors in it - even just plain.

The tub we bought even came with a little tub topper- with four ingredients (red pepper, jalapeno, pine nuts, and garlic) that we could mix into the hummus if we so chose.  The cool thing is that the topper is a separate container - and both the hummus and the topper have resealable lids.  VERY handy. 

I've been looking for a healthy treat that I could turn to when I come home from work.  Something that I can enjoy, take the edge off my hunger, and then make sane choices either around food while I'm cooking.  This fits the bill perfectly.

As we were checking out, I looked at our cart.  We had fresh fruit (cherries and blueberries for me, grapes for Joe), some cheese, the salad, the chicken, and hummus.  That was it.  All healthy options that I was literally salivating over. I didn't have any shame over what was in my cart...and it reminded me of my post about shameful shopping.

We had the hummus for an appetizer while we cooked up some fresh veggies, enjoyed our chicken with said veggies, and then had the waldorf salad for dessert.

It was wonderful.  Decadent even.

I love that fresh food can give me pleasure.  I'm thankful that I live in a country where I CAN have these options available to me weekly.  And, I love that I'm just now actually tasting my food versus eating things in a daze.

What new food finds have you loved recently?

14 Comments:

Traci Michele said...

yum.... i heart hummus!

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Sounds great! In our family, Hubby does Costco because he just loveeees it. I do all the other stores. I like some hummus but not others and mostly like it on yummy bread. Sigh. Me and bread.

Katy said...

Costco is like food for my soul. Love that place! My latest thing has been making turkey avocado melts. The avocado gets a bit warm and the texture is divine! Scott goes ape shit over them, so we've been going through a lot of turkey lately.

Curvy Jones said...

I cannot get with hummus. I don't know what it is about it... just... no. I would just eat the toppers. Gosh, why am I so fat?

spice2116 said...

i tried hummus with roasted garlic a while ago and it was divine. garlic is my personal weakness along with many other things lol

love costco!!

mypixieblog said...

I just had some roasted red pepper hummus with broccoli as a mid-afternoon snack and it was pretty delish. I'll have to pick that up the next time I'm in costco--I love that place :)

Unknown said...

I actually just tried red pepper hummus I loved it so tasty. I also tried blanched asparagus it was so much better than the green stuff hee hee.

Lanie said...

I have the same aversion to beans (and hummus) so I completely understand. We went so far as to buy some dried beans to soak and cook up, but guess what? They are still in the bag in the pantry. I have no desire . . .

Lesia said...

I have NEVER heard of or tried Hummus. I guess I will go check it out. I love the fruit salad though.smile.

GeorgiaBE said...

I love that hummus! I've actually started making my own and then roasting garlic on the side to add to it! YUM! Try it on celery

Marion said...

I love hummus with the mini cucumbers at costco. I just wash the cucs and cut the ends off and dip them in the hummus! Yummy! Costco is the best!! Murn

Joy said...

I love hummus, it is awesome!! It's so fun to go grocery shopping and have your cart look like it came from a health food magazine! Makes ya kind of proud. I know when I'm buying something that is bad for me, I hide it under my healthy food. Then when the checker gets to it, I look at it like it just fell into my cart. I'm bad....Hugs!

Miz said...

huh
I mulled and pondered and my answer is NONE!

thats never good :)

farmers market time for this misfit---need to explore some new foods....

Mark and Joella said...

I love shopping at Costco! Sarah really loves the free samples :) The rotisserie chicken is awesome...I almost always get one when we go. The little grape tomatoes are also delish! Mmmm...now I want to go to Costco :)