Friday, June 11, 2010

The trip of a lifetime


I came across this quote recently, and it struck me as really profound:

Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip.
~Arnold H. Glasgow


Perhaps I find it profound because I think that I found the man I want to marry. Or maybe it's because my biological clock is ticking louder as each moment passes.

Whatever the case, I think that the idea that what I've done to my body all of these years can and will have a profound affect on my life for years to come is haunting.

I know people who are trying to get pregnant now that can't due to their weight. It's heartbreaking to see her month after month get her hopes up only to have them dashed by Aunt Flow.

I know people who have had kids and yet can't play with them because they can't get up and move. And it makes me sad - both for the kids who desperately want to play but are told to just sit inside and watch more TV AND for the parents who can't possibly be happy knowing that their size is impacting their kids' abilities to play and experience the world.

I don't want to be like that...not it I can help it.

I don't want to overstuff myself on my honeymoon such that even the thought of sex makes me want to urp. I don't want to tell my kids that it's too hot or cold outside to go, run, play, or ride a bike.

I want to go hiking or skiing or kayaking with my husband on our honeymoon. I want to return from a day or afternoon of activity, take a shower, and then make love with all of the passion and energy we can muster.

I want to be the first to teach my kids how much fun climbing trees and wriggling in the grass can feel. I want to teach them how to build snowmen and make snow angels. I want to give piggy back rides, help them build forts in the living room, and play hopscotch.

I'm 33 now, not married, and not pregnant (not that I'm currently trying). I don't know what age I will be when I actually HAVE kids, but whatever it is, I know that I will be one of the older moms at PTA meetings and graduations. I don't want my child(ren) to have to pay for my being older AND fatter.

Glasgow was right. If we only get one trip, I want mine to be long, filled with lots of awesome scenery and experiences. And I want my trip to be as healthy as possible so that I'm able to enrich the lives of others - my future husband, my future kids, and (God willing) their families too.
If this is my trip, I want it to be worth the cost.

I mean, I wouldn't plan a trip and deliberately ask for the middle row on an airplane or a seat right next to the bathroom, right? Of course not! So why would I sabotage my own trip in my body by filling it with foods and things that make it harder to be as healthy as I can be?

Suddenly my own stubbornness to not learn new ways to cope with stresses, heartbreaks, and fears seems selfish and unbelievably sad.

So I'm vowing now to make the most of this trip - however long it is. To me, that means moving my body to the best of it's ability and fueling it with the things it really wants and needs.

This is my trip and it's going to be great.

Who's coming with me?

16 Comments:

Becca said...

Fab Post full of motivation! I'm totally on the trip too - good luck to us both!

Katy said...

That's some good insight. I like the baggage quote a lot.

SherRon said...

I'm with you!

This is an amazing post reminding me of what I REALLY want. I don't really want a cheeseburger, I do really want a healthy family.

I don't really want extra ice cream. I really want to be an adventurous and active mom.

A long time ago I saw a commercial on TV (I can't even remember what it was advertising now) and it said that "Healthy bodies have more fun." Think about it! It is so true! Healthy bodies dance, swim, climb, explore, and make love.

A healthy body sounds nice...I think I'll get me one of those.

Lesia said...

Way to go! I love it and you hit the nail right on the head! Congrats and getting married.

Jams said...

OMG - What a great quote! You are so right. Why shouldn't we take care of ourselves so we can live the happiest, healthiest lives available?

It's so sad when you see families with kids and the parents are too heavy to play. It makes me wanna cry. And often times, the kids are heavy too, which makes me even more sad.


I'm 31, almost 32 and getting married next year... I'm not sure when we'll have kids, but I do know that when we do, I want to do all the things you mentioned. And I want them to grow up in a healthy household, and have a healthy relationship with food/activity!

Marion said...

great post! need to get rid of my extra baggage too for my trip!!! Thanks!

Marion said...

great post! I need to get rid of my extra baggage so I can have those things too....marriage, babies etc! Thanks!

spice2116 said...

Never thought of it like that!! I want to have the best trip ever. Let's make it rock!!

TinaM said...

I am!!! I'm comming with you!!! :)

GREAT POST

Anonymous said...

Me! *raises hand and waves like a monkey*

Flabby McGee said...

excellent post!! And I love that quote, it's so true. As one of the parents who spent her formative years watching her child play - I understand that completely. This was so great because it made me feel two things - It was rather bittersweet, I thought of all the people who are missing out b/c of weight, and it also made me want to get up and do jumping jacks right here to lose some! :) Awesomeness!

Missy said...

I'm in!

:)

Levi said...

Nice post. I wish I had had this much awareness at your age or maybe I wish I wasn't so unconscious. Water under at this point! I was pregnant at 22 and had those kids at 23 and they are 32 years old now. OMG. I'm melting.

Unknown said...

LOVE this post! Thank you this is what I use for my motivation not weight but the desire of life and an active life!

Lala said...

How much do I LOVE your blog?!
What a wonderful post, and something that is hitting home in a painful way as I am currently suffering with knee problems. Having said that, this is helping me to feel the lightness of making choices that lead me towards happier times (I can't write for jack today, but I hope you get what I mean). Thank you for the inspiration!! Really. (oh, and my word verification today was blest--which sounds like blessed :-).

Tessa said...

Great inspiration, count me in!!! I am heading go Vegas in September and want to be able to buckle up without the extender. Let's see if I can do it. Word verification is "wined", makes me want to stop whining and getting doing something about my weight. Thank you for posting this.