Monday, September 20, 2010

Who AM I?

This weekend was fantastic.  I really wouldn't have changed a thing.

I'll share pictures and details from my 5K run on Saturday morning later (I don't have my camera with me and I haven't download the pictures yet) but I want to say that I did the race in my fastest race time yet!  I'm pretty proud.

After the 5K run, Joe and I hit up Snooze (one of our favorite breakfast places) and shared a pancake.  I ate about 1/8 of my breakfast meal, but stopped because I was no longer hungry.  Did it taste good?  OH MY WORD, yes.  But I'm really trying to practice living my life at a level 5 on the hunger scale.  So far, it works wonderfully.  Moreover, it's a more loving way to treat my soul and my body.

Plus, now I have a yummy breakfast to re-heat for tomorrow. :)

We went back home and took a nap for 5 hours (and boy did I need it!), woke up and enjoyed a dinner of cheeses, fruits, and whole grain crackers.  We capped off the night cuddling on the couch and watching Terminator, a movie that I hadn't previously seen (I know!  I should be shot!) and was surprisingly good.

What I'm really proud about was our day on Sunday...

We got up, worked out (I did some upper body weight lifting as I really think that doing that will help some of my back pain issues) and then decided to have a quick bite to eat before helping his grandparents out.  The time?  10:45ish.  We couldn't find a breakfast eatery that wasn't packed with people (and on the way), so we opted to stop at a Heidi's deli.  Joe had a breakfast sandwich but I had...

A VEGGIE SANDWICH.

Alright, truth time.  Whenever any of you have talked about eating veggie foods or sandwiches, I've thought "Ew.  Why would you do that when you could have MEAT?" 

But a few weeks ago at the Mile High Music Festival, I had a veggie wrap.  And after that I realized that all veggie foods aren't bad.  In fact, they're downright tasty.  They've been our go-to food when at movies and leave me much more satisfied than I ever thought they would.

So back to my sandwich.  It was a toasted thin bagel with avocado, cream cheese, sprouts, tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers.  SO delicious.

It hit the spot in a major way.

They shook their heads in disbelief when we turned down the free chips and potato salad.  It just didn't appeal to either one of us.

We didn't end up eating lunch (I had a few almonds and some cheese and crackers during the Broncos game), and for dinner we had fresh sushi.  Man, do I love me some sashimi (which is how I know I could probably never be a true vegetarian).

On the way home from sushi, we walked by a Dairy Queen.  Joe asked if I wanted a blizzard...and if you've been reading my blog for long, you probably know the answer to this.  I ALWAYS want a blizzard.  It's my go-to binge food.  It's the "food" that I've turned to comfort SO many times, I've lost count. 

But I was satisfied.  And truthfully, a piece of dark chocolate at home would've been all I needed.  So I passed on the blizzard.

I'll repeat that, I PASSED ON A BLIZZARD.

My point is, when left to find out a) if I'm hungry and b) what it is that I truly want, my body leads me the right way EVERY time.

This may not seem like a big deal to you.  Maybe you restrict yourself in such a way that this seems like no big deal.  But to me, it's huge.

I turned down food that I normally would've eaten because I didn't actually want it.  I wasn't hungry for it.

I'll be the first to say that I have issues with food that go WAY beyond being hungry.  So the fact that I chose healthy options because *I* wanted to (not because someone told me I couldn't or shouldn't have it) was huge.

Moreover, it gave me hope that my identity as a food addict is changing. 

7 Comments:

Auntie Mandy said...

Veggies ROCK

Debbie said...

Congrats on you for passing up the blizzard. I am also a blizzard fan. You did great and I am looking forward to the pictures of your 5K

Lanie said...

That is absolutely FANTASTISMIC! I'm so excited for you that I made up a new word. Yay me! but HOORAY YOU!

Passing up goodies is a big deal, a huge deal passing them up and not feeling the least bit bad about it. It's great, isn't it? I love it. It's a whole new world!

Katie Warren said...

I was thinking about you today and your hunger scale. I was unexpectedly (sp) out to lunch and had a delicious meal. I failed to stop when I was full because it just tasted so dang good! I thought, now what would my blogging buddy say about this...shame on me. But, luckily I am still within my WW points for the day, but next time I will win...not the meal!

<3 Katie

Lanie said...

hey lady - i'm tagging you for an award.

Lesia said...

Way to go there on listening to your body. I turned down a free desert after my dinner the other night at the restaurant too. Wasn't hungry. They didn't cook Clay's steak like he wanted it so they comped his meal and offered me a free dessert. So proud of you.

TinaM said...

That is a HUGE deal! Passing on a blizzard!!! Good job!!!!

(Terminator 2 is even better)