Thursday, August 19, 2010

Forever

This morning I woke up with a determination to have a day on program.  To eat when I'm hungry - and without distractions, to stop when I'm satisfied, and to make healthy choices.

I packed my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the day.  I even grabbed my running gear so that I could run at lunch.

After getting to the office, I worked until I got hungry.  Then, I went into our lunchroom and made myself a healthy version of an Egg McMuffin (toasted double fiber whole wheat english muffin, one microwaved egg, a few sprays of fake butter, and a sliver of gouda cheese).  It's a go-to breakfast for me - one of many.  If I ever find myself off track (which I haven't really been), then a go-to breakfast gets me right back on track.

I knew it would taste good.  I knew that the fiber would be good for me, that the egg would give me enough protein to stave off hunger, and that the cheese would be tasty.

But then, in walks one of our sales representatives with a box full of fresh baked pastries from Panera.  Chocolate chip muffins, cheese danishes, gooey pecan rolls, and other morsels of tasty goodness.  And suddenly, my healthy eating plan (POOF) was gone.

All I could think about was eating something in that box. 

I ended up getting involved in a long conversation with the sales rep - during which I ate my breakfast.  I thought that maybe my desire for the baked goods was because I was hungry.

Nope.  Because when I was done, I still wanted something from that box.

"But you're not hungry!" I told myself.

"BUT I WANT IT!," my self told me.

And right then, I remembered the Peter Drucker quote.  I remembered Big Clyde and how he told me to "get in gear and make great choices today" (for some reason, I'm scared to break a promise to Andre the Giant). 

So instead, even though I WANTED that cheese danish (and HOO BOY how I wanted it), I walked out of the room.

And that's when it occurred to me - all over again - in order for me to be successful on my journey, I have to be WILLING to turn down those kinds of temptations again and again.  

Being healthy is a goal that has no end. 

Having a healthy relationship with food is something you either have or you don't.  And since I want that healthy relationship with food, I need to be willing to make the tough decision every day, every week, every year.

Forever.

16 Comments:

Fat Grump said...

Ooooh. That man with the box of goodies...Why does temptation turn up like this when we are pried to do our very best and have even prepared to have a day completely on plan? I know I give in to temptation too easily...and I am OK with it, but I do like that quotation of yours. Am I willing to go without, willing to stick to my plan? It is hard when a box of pastries and cakes turns up! Well done for walking away. We all know that temptation loses it's grip when we walk away from it. Half an hour later and we are over it - until the next time..and then we have to remember to walk away again!:)

Fat Grump said...

*primed* even!

Lyn said...

You did great! In my mind, sometimes it's sort of a "fake it til you make it" thing. Eventually maybe we won't really care about those treats. I have had moments like that, where I see it and don't care. I bet you have too! Good choices do get easier over time. You're doing awesome!

Lesia said...

Yep you got the secret now. It isn't easy but you can do it!

Debbie said...

You have amazing will power. I would have gone for the box. Good for you..

Leah said...

Good for you! It's hard to walk away from temptations like that. I know I struggle with pastries and cake as well. You always win when you stick to your plan!

Karen said...

Good for you! Sometimes walking away is the hardest and easiest part.

Crys said...

I love it! Peter Drucker will make you rethink things. But Panera? That's just evil! Their cinnamon crunch bagel bought my copious breakfast pleasure over the years. RIP those days! You're right. It's all a choice. I'm proud of you!

TinaM said...

Good job! I do not have that kind of self control lately, and I NEED to. SOOO proud of you for turning down that box!!!

Love your new pic at the top, just wear a pair of fun pants like that to the wedding!!!! I'm sure they come in yellow... Hahaha :)

Katie Warren said...

Congratulations on your small victory! I had a similar one last friday. They always have donuts at work on Friday, and there was one left (undoubtedly the one they had thought I would eat), and it sat there ALL day...STARING at me! But I said no, no, and no. Finally I saw a fly on it at about 3pm and I didn't want it anymore, but that was one rough 7 hours!

Katie
www.freakingawesomebody.blogspot.com

Allan said...

Thanks for your well thought out and insightful comments.. You said all good things, and that works for me !!! follow your path, and in the end, you will be smiling...

Lesia said...

Your advise and comment on my loss for words blog post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I loved it. smile.

Kris said...

...and again, and again, and again! And, we all know it sucks! Good job Anne! Chalk one up for you today! And, tomorrow is a new day to do it all over again! I do not know when it gets easier???? But, good job for today!

Lanie said...

I'm so proud of you . .. I might cry. No wait, that's Aunt Flo crying. She's proud of you, too.

Missy said...

I'm also really proud of you!

And, I'm like you're sister. I have actually only been constipated once in my entire life, and that was the last month I was pregnant with my son. It was awesome. I was like, "OMG, I don't have to poop all of the time!!!"

Yeah. Now I go once a day. Maybe twice if I'm stressed and haven't had my B-12. Three, four, five times a day is what happens when I drink coffee. When I ate wheat, it was like 10-12. Imagine that!!! Ugh...

I do the blood type diet (sort of), which basically says that O blood types eat more meat (and therefore have more stomach acid to break it down). A blood types usually do better on an agrarian diet, with very little meat, which is why they're always constipated. B types can go either way, as they're supposedly more "omnivores", but that means you need more grains and veggies to stay "regular". That's the theory. :)

Miz said...

YES!!!!!

I love this and it is so true.

for everything in life.

I get up each morning and recommit to being healthy to being married to being a mom...