Thursday, August 5, 2010

Keep Scootching...

This morning I had my annual "Keep scootching to the end of the table even though you feel like you're going to fall off any second now" appointment. As per usual, she didn't even buy me a drink first.

My OBGYN has lost 58 pounds since the last time I had seen her and she looks FABULOUS. When I commented on that, she said that I was a motivating factor in her life. She said that when I came in last year, she was so impressed by my weight loss that she had decided to lose hers too. She is now five pounds from her goal weight - I couldn't be more proud of her.

I, on the other hand, am another story.

We looked up my weight in the charts...and from 2008 to 2009, I had lost 59 pounds. From 2009 to 2010, I had gained 12. To be fair, last year, I was wearing a flowy skirt and top - because I wanted to be my absolute lightest. This year, I weighed in jeans, a heavy top, and shoes. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I am still up in weight from last year, but I'm not going to cry over it.

The truth is, I'm probably up about 5-7 pounds from last year. And while that's not horrible, it's also a slippery slope. 5-7 pounds year after year means a lot more weight to bear. And that is unacceptable to me.

In fact, it was a motivating factor to me to see her and to realize that by my appointment next year, I really do want to be at a healthy weight. I want to be another 40 pounds down.

They say that in order for goals to be truly effective, they need to be measurable, attainable, and contain a deadline.

So now, other than a semi-used paper gown, that's about all I have. Motivation to be healthier and a deadline by which to do it.

I'm on it.

7 Comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

That first paragraph really cracked me up! I think it is amazing that you should have so inspired another person like that:) Something you can be very proud of despite the slip backwards. But I know of what you speak with that little slippery slope having hung on to it many times myself. I am really recommitted this week; glad to have you joining me:)

Katy said...

That's so awesome that she told you that you were her motivation! how inspiring.

TinaM said...

You're so funny!

That's awesome that you inspired her like that, that HAS to feel good! 7 pounds is nothing, but its good motivation, and you have a great goal to work towards. I have my 'keep scootching' day soon, and that's a major goal for me too! To show that scale who's boss!!!!

Lanie said...

That is so cool that the patient inspired the doctor! Great work!

I'm so glad you talked about it with her today and I know that you'll be changing the direction of the scale before the next annual Poke N Scrape appointment.

Lesia said...

ROTFL!

Raegun said...

Wow - it must feel so incredible to know that you inspired such a change in someone's lifestyle. And a physician, no less!

Unknown said...

Wow way to be an inspiration! No my keyboard is not fixed I just decided to copy and paste every freakin' o. Its good to step back and see what you need to correct early I waited to long and then it was 15 instead of 5.