Saturday, August 7, 2010

Note to co-workers: Manage your diabetes or we will hurt you (repost)

Know how Jack Sh*t has "Same Old Sh*t Saturdays?"  Well, I've decided to steal borrow this move from his playbook with a different twist.  For the next few Saturdays, I've decided to post a little something about me or my life.  Think of it as a way to get to know me better...about stuff other than weight loss and healthy eating.  Feel free to skip it if you wish, I just thought it might be fun.

Today's post is from my other blog - one that I started first.  There isn't really anything over there about weight loss or healthy eating, it's pretty much just me being silly, funny, and gross.  So basically it's like me, only as a 15 year old boy.
=======================================

A co-worker went into diabetic shock on Monday. The good news is that she is fine...but the bad news is that not many of us knew what to do to help.

So, in an effort to ease people's anxiety, we had a safety meeting yesterday where we went over warning signs of low blood sugar and high blood sugar. You might be interested to know that people with low blood sugar are usually cranky. So, let me just answer the question that I've been asked all day long. NO. I don't have low blood sugar right now.

Anyway, in an attempt to educate us, our Operations Manager asked us in a meeting, "What do you do if the diabetic goes into an unresponsive state?"

And another co-worker said, "Give them CPR."

So the Ops Manager said, "No. No, that would be very bad."

At a couple of blank looks, he went on to explain the difference between your heart not beating (and thus needing CPR) and someone passing out (where the person does NOT need CPR, and you should proabably call 911).

I'm just saying, if you're a diabetic and need a job, you probably don't want to work here. We're likely going to make matters worse.

9 Comments:

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Should I feel bad that I got a chuckle out of what should be such a serious subject? My mom's husband is a diabetic. I have no idea what to do and suspect she may not either. We need to go learn!

BTW - the link to your other blog didn't work for me:(

Unknown said...

LoL. I am just thinkin' man I woulda thought the same thing or maybe.....draw a magic marker mustache on em????

okay I realize that is a little mean for to be fair I do have diabetics galore in my family and they would laugh cuz they know I'm kidding....kinda hee hee :)

TinaM said...

I think including the posts from your other blog is a great idea!

I love you blog. Because you're so honest and upfront about your weight loss, and your life. Thanks for sharing with us!
Gave you an award :)

http://myday-tinam.blogspot.com/2010/08/blogger-award.html

I hope it's not a pain in the butt! lol

Traci said...

hahahaha...Don't work there, they just might kill ya. One thing about having low blood sugar myself that I learned online is that we really should educate those we are around a lot so that they can help us if we can't help ourselves. I'm glad they did a training for you. :)

Auntie Mandy said...

When my dad had a diabetic stroke, I just covered him with a sheet. When he woke up, he said, "Did I go peacefully?"

Lesia said...

Yep I LOL too. Was or is that bad?

The Babe said...

On that same note, at my job in financial services we actually had a defibrillator installed. An emergency one. In the file room. Right behind my desk. Yea, so you understand my horror. And in the training class, the following statements were made:

"Does someone have to be dead to try this?"
"Can it make a grilled cheese?"
"So, if I'm not feeling well, I should stagger into the file room? But what if I'm on the 2nd floor?"
"Are you sure about this? I don't know that I want the file clerk to be the one responsible for restarting my heart."
And my favorite, from my good friend the recruiter (who did have a serious heart condition and an artificial heart valve): "Audra, do not let those yay-hoos anywhere near me, dying or not."

:-)

P. Hentermine said...

One thing about having low blood sugar myself that I learned online is that we really should educate those we are around a lot so that they can help us if we can't help ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss the punchline? What ARE you supposed to do if someone collapses during a diabetic episode???