Friday, August 13, 2010

Willingness made simple

Confession time:  I am not doing so well in this whole weight loss thing.

My clothes still FIT, they just don't fit the same way...and it's a constant reminder that I am failing at this.  "This" should be easy.  My plan is just listen to your body, eat when you're hungry, stop before you're full.  I eat plenty of "good" foods - fruits, veggies, protein, and complex carbs.  I don't eat many processed foods...so why am I ballooning like there is no tomorrow?

Oh yeah...it's because I'm eating when I'm not hungry and continuing to eat when I'm full.

It's the small things, right?

So today, I visited Crys' blog - and saw this quote at the top of the screen:

What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it is another matter. -Peter Drucker


Did it smack anyone else upside the head as it did me?

The whole mindful eating plan is simple - SO simple.  And yet, I'm just not doing it.  Why?  Well, I could say that I'm feeding other things, that I'm scared of shedding this fat suit sometimes, or that I'm being stubborn. I could say that since I lost my dog 6 weeks ago, I don't feel like I can regain my footing.  Those would all be true.

But the harsh truth is that I'm not doing it.  My actions indicate that I'm not willing to DO the work that comes with my plan.  Namely, I'm not pausing and following the guidelines that I've chosen to follow.

So I'm committing to you - readers that have been with me for a while and those that are new - I *WILL* follow the guidelines this week. 

This?  This post marks a changing moment in my life.  Seeing my WIDTH reasons yesterday helped me realize again just why I am doing this.  Being unhealthy only hurts me.  And it DOES hurt - my joints, my pride, my self esteem, and my body.  Sitting around feeling sad that I don't have my dog anymore won't bring her back.  I'm being self-indulgent and eating anything that might make me feel better.

I've got to be willing to change.
 
I've got to be willing to stand up for myself and say I don't want to hurt anymore...so I have to be willing to actually LISTEN to myself.
 
I AM worth something...and so are you.
 
I'm not going to give up - so please don't give up either.  We are in this together and I know that we can succeed together.
 
I've accomplished a lot in my life, I've persevered through many tough things. Listening to my body's cues to eat, stop eating, to move, and to stop moving should be easy.


So it's about time I get off my duff and do it.  Are you with me?

14 Comments:

Katy said...

I need to write down my reasons, and post them on my blog WIDTH style...if it helped you, maybe it can help pull me out of this 12 week slump I've been in.

Lesia said...

NOPE NEVER GOING TO GIVE UP ON YOU!!! I am here for the long haul. smile.

Big Clyde said...

Don't give up and neither will we! We can definitely have those down periods...it is right to not ignore them. But when you are ready (sounds like now), get into gear and make great choices today.

I'm with you.

Fat Girl vs. World said...

I hate leaving a comment linking to my own blog -- but here it is: http://fatgirlvsworld.blogspot.com/2010/06/post-100-and-third-today.html

Id say the same exact thing to you that James Prochaska wrote in that article.

Jams said...

You, my friend, can gain control of this. You aren't failing, you're learning. Unfortunately sometimes we, as humans, have to learn lessons over and over until they stick! LMAO

You've got this! :)

Karen said...

Oh baby I am right there with you! Different plan, but the basic premise is the same. I know what I have to do and now I just have to do it more than half the darn days of the week! Let's get going:)

P.S. Loved you on Jack's blog:)

Dillypoo said...

Love that quote! Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies, sabotaging ourselves even when we're aware of our actions. Kind of like watching our own car wreck on the highway.

Margie M. said...

I have long held the opinion that losing weight is SIMPLE. The problem is that it is not EASY. Those 2 words that may seem similar in definition are worlds apart in meaning.

Don't berate yourself because you are having difficulty with the part that means "easy". Just don't give up. EVER.

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

TinaM said...

If it were easy, EVERYONE would be skinny. But it's not... and YOU are doing great.
I'm glad some bumps in the road didn't stop you, only pushed you forward. I'M WITH YA!

Alan said...

Quoting Peter Drucker (!) and cheering for the Bills (I went to college in Rochester during the SB years)...you are worthy of sticking with it! My advice for everyone in these situations is to calmly remind them that it's never straight down. Stick with it, reflect on what has worked before and it will work again.

And thanks for joining my blog!

The Serial Slimmer said...

Totally agree with Margie M. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to do (ie losing weight) so we beat ourselves up about it when we fail (and for me this is a common occurance!)

Just keep going though!

Lanie said...

Grief is a hard thing to go through but if you can make yourself get up and move instead of self-medicating with yummy yummy food, I think it will help you feel better.

Not giving up on you! Put on your big girl fun pants and move! :-)

Crys said...

Isn't it the best? Peter Drucker is like the God of management consulting which is what I do. I was reading one of his books and that quote was talking about leadership within in a copy but all I could think about was losing weight and getting healthy. It stayed with me for years. Was trying to come up with a kitschy subtitle for my body and that's all I could hear in my head!

So glad you drew inspiration from it!

Lynda with a Y said...

I am going through a similar slump. I'm now reading other blogs for inspiration for me to get my butt out of bed and eat a salad instead of a bowl of (white) pasta.