Monday, October 25, 2010

Re-distribution and a wake-up call

In a lot of ways, I'm not lucky.

But in some ways, I am.  Take my body for instance...I may have more weight on my body, but it's proportionate.  I've got curves and a hourglass figure.  Ample bosom (what am I? 90 years old?  Who uses the word 'bosom' anymore?), plush derriere, and a waist that indicates more "Jessica Rabbit" and less "the apple guy from the Fruit of the Loom commercials."

At least that WAS the case.

See, I've been feeling BIGGER.  I've got this muffin top thing going on while in some of my jeans.  And to be honest?  I look like I'm expecting...not full term, but I know people wouldn't be shocked if I said that a new baby was on it's way.  And how embarrassing is that?  Very.

Side note: that t-shirt to the right?  WHO WOULD WEAR THAT?  Even if someone would, I doubt it would be the size 2 model pictured.  I find this bizarre.

So I bit the bullet and stepped on the scale again - the last time was a week ago.  No change.  And last week's numbers?  No change from the beginning of September.  I'm still the same weight I've been all summer.

So what gives?

I'm not sure exactly what has been happening lately, but it sounds like my weight has to be re-distributing, right?  Sure, some of it is probably due to the uterine fibroid pushing some of my tummy out, but I can't help but think that it's also because I haven't been exercising.  I'm not going to indicate that I had SO. MUCH. MUSCLE. that has gone by the way-side and fat is taking it's place.  While I was a cardio lover, I wasn't exactly Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.

Yet another side note: I just saw "Terminator 2" a few weeks ago for the first time.  And OH MAN, is she built or WHAT?  Good grief!  It was pretty sexy is all I'm saying.  Kind of like Annette Benning's arms in "The American President" in that scene where she's dancing with him.  I want arms and shoulders like that.

So anyway, I'm not quite sure what's going on with my body, but this has kind of been a wake-up call.  I've heard women older than myself say that weight re-distributes...especially around the mid-section.  And after experiencing this, I've decided that I'm not a fan of it - not of how it feels and not of how it looks. 

I've decided that I can use this surgery as a jumping off point.  I can use it as a way to tell myself that taking care of myself has to be a priority.  I can document and remember how it feels to look down (while buckled in the car) and see my tummy pooching out.  I can vow to change my situation, once I am healthy enough to do so.  I don't like the feeling of my boobs resting on my stomach...I've gotten used to NOT feeling that...and I haven't missed it.

What are some sensations that either you aren't going to miss or that you don't miss?

10 Comments:

Lanie said...

Oh! Oh! I got an idea! Why don't you pretend that you're having gastric bypass surgery and just go on that diet?

This is really stupid sounding, but I have noticed how hard some of my muscles feel now and it's foreign to me. I don't see a ton of definition or anything, but I've noticed if I scratch and itch or something "damn, that arm is hard - it doesn't feel right" and I can't say that I really like it.

Yep. I've got mental problems, alright!

(Tell Joe - my word verification here is "wed me"

Debbie said...

I will not miss the sensation of not being able to breath when I bend over to tie my shoes. I do not miss the sensation of my bras cutting me on my sides. I had to take them up this weekend. You will get back on track. Sometimes your body has to do some adjusting after any kind of surgery. :)

Karen said...

Yep ... after all I am "WAISTING" Time. It does redistribute. Sad. Wish my boobs were big enough to rest anywhere!

Patrick Mahoney said...

I don't miss feeling crappy all the time and not fitting into airplane seats...

Anonymous said...

I have a confession. I am totally tempted to wear that awful shirt. :p

Polar's Mom said...

Thighs. Rubbing. Together. Ugh.

Shirt. Clinging. To Ass. Ugh.

Polar's Mom
www.polarspage.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I could ignore my body, but my face....that's a different story. I had to look at it every day in the mirror. The thing I don't miss is my round, apple-shaped face. I couldn't wear certain hairstyles because it just accentuated it.

Levi said...

Filling in the hole between my legs. Feeling the fat on my side when I sleep. Feeling my stomach on the bed when I sleep on my side.
Breathing, not feeling stuffed.

Being able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.

Unknown said...

Muffin top that is what I won't miss, it is going away slowly but man I can't wait to not miss it!

MizFit said...

I was always told when I was, uh, young and naive that it all changed at 40

and then 40 hit and it DID NOT so I laughed AT those women

inside my head
where it counts :)

and then 41 hit.

and I was laughing no mo'

xo xo