Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sick

To say that our house has been an infestation of all kinds of disease is pretty accurate.

I've been sick all week - and as of this morning I still had a fever and burning feeling in my chest.  Joe?  He's sick with a stomach bug that as of this morning hadn't completely run it's course.  Yesterday he ran a temp just under 105. 

It's so much fun!  Not.

AND my father will actually be coming in tonight to spend the weekend with us.  He'll be staying in a hotel.  That he's paying for.  Actually, I'm not sure if I wrote you about the fall-out of that conversation that he and I had after I wrote the post last month.

Basically, he was very understanding when I explained, "I offered to pay for everything because I didn't want you to be mad at me.  I didn't want you to be disappointed in me.  I want you to be happy with me.  I want us to have a good time."  It felt good to explain my fears to him and to help him see how when he reacts in an impatient irritated manner, it makes me feel inferior and unworthy.

He said that he wanted to come down, spend time with me, meet Joe, and that he didn't want it to be a stressful thing.  That he quickly agreed and was thoughtful in his response makes me realize that maybe he really *has* gotten better over the years.

It was a rare moment in my 33 years where there was genuine authenticity on both sides.  I hope our relationship is better for it. 
The great thing about having him as a guest this weekend is that my dad really values his personal time and space.  This means we will break for a few hours each afternoon to rest...which means that I can heal with some much needed sleep this weekend.

I'm exhausted.  I'm so behind on reading blogs, that it's not funny.  So forgive me for my non-commenting - I don't know how I get *this* behind on all the blogs on a weekly basis.  It's tough because there are so many that I want to read and comment thoughtfully on.  In fact, sometimes I read them and mark them as "unread" because I want to comment on them later.  Only then they build up even faster...and that's why I have 300 unread blog posts.  And 75 unanswered emails.  Wasn't technology supposed to make things easier??

18 Comments:

Lesia said...

get feeling better. Hope you enjoy your dad's visit. smile.

Debbie said...

I have the same problem trying to stay up on posts. I manage to catch a few during the week, but I only have my lunch hour to eat and post in. I try and read a lot on the weekend. I hope you get to feeling better and enjoy the time with your dad.. :)

Karen said...

Oh I hope you feel better soon:)

Lanie said...

Just read mine and skip all the others. Problem solved! lol

I think it's really great that you spoke openly about your fears to your dad. That couldn't hae easy. I hear that keeping emotions bottled up causes fibroids. Communication can be really scary especially when your head is telling you already how he's going to react. That was really brave & I'm proud of you! MMMMWAH!

Jams said...

I hope you feel better soon and that you're able to enjoy your dad's visit! I'm so glad to hear that he is paying for the hotel himself! And I'm super proud of you for telling him how you felt!

Levi said...

Great to read this follow up on Dad. I hope you guys feel better soon and this isn't some illness you brought on yourselves just to get out of spending time with Dad. Out here in California, we always cause our own illnesses. hahaha

Jesus Living Daily said...

Hope you get well in time to enjoy the weekend with you're Dad. I read your earlier post and my heart pours out to you. I was one of the lucky ones and had a Dad like John Walton... :)

Fat Grump said...

I tend to click on blogs randomly now...mainly the ones on my list. There are SO many out there that to read and comment would take forever!

I hope you both feel much better this weekend and that your Dad's visit heals your relationship some more. It sounds as though he's really trying hard.

Sam said...

I'm so glad things worked out with your dad! It must have been really hard to open yourself up like that, but it turned out great!! Feel better and have a delightful weekend!

Margie M. said...

I hope you do get enough rest to get completely well very soon. Thanks for bringing us up to speed on the "Dad situation". I'm sending good vibes to Colorado for all of you to have a great visit together!

Margie M. writes at:
www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Huh. I do the mark as unread thing too.
I am always way behind, though I do keep up on some for sure. Like my sister in pants, for one.
Still thinking about you and your girl bits. Oooh, that sounded dirty!
I hope the weekend goes well with your dad and yours and Joe's infected states.
:)

TinaM said...

Sorry you're still sick :(
I hope you feel better soon, and have a great time this weekend.
I'm so glad things are looking up for you and your dad :)

GeorgiaBE said...

You know, it wasn't until I hit mid-30s that my dad and I actually started to "get" each other. He mellowed, I mellowed and now we are good!

I do hope you are feeling better soon...all kinds of nasties going around!

Gina said...

I'm so happy for you! Not that you're sick, that I'm sorry for & I'll pray you & Joe kick it soon. I'm thrilled that you were able to express your concerns to your father, that he listened, & that you felt you had a genuine interaction; I hope this weekend is full of them. Remember you are BOTH adults now & you get to choose how to react to him. You can choose to react differently than when you were a child. Hopefully you won't have to overthink it & it can be as "natural" as possible. Can't wait to hear all about it & FEEL BETTER!

Charlotte said...

Sounds like some really great communicating with your dad. It's great that you were able to clear the air a little. Hope you feel better soon!

teresa said...

Just found your blog through the Hot 100... I hope you feel better soon and that you have a great time with your dad! I'll be seeing you around! By the way, I really like your blog.

Honib1 said...

So glad I stumbled upon your blog...I read both your current and dad post ...sounds like it was a very hard time and I hope for u and yours that his visit will bring closure to a bumpy past and a pathway and healthy relationship to a sweeter future........ F Y I. You asked who Hannah was.. She is my niece... ;-)

Alexia said...

i'm actually catching up on blogs right now :)

i can't remember if i've ever been here, but you're on my google reader so...thanks for making me look up the word "gregarious." i'm glad you're gregarious. ahem.